Tru-Cut Table Saw Insert System

Smashedfinger

I have something similar on the Saw Stop.  The inserts use a sliding dovetail and single screw for retention so I can make my own out of scrap.  It has worked out well.

1022456660_SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts(5).jpg.223505a737baace77d8f910af2cfd618.jpg1616293648_SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts(9).jpg.160a2528e939052d6ba4322feea68203.jpg

I forget the brand but, it was on clearance at Rockler once upon a time . . . 

• Like 1

If you go this route get the one gee-dub posted, I have the top one and it is a pain in the butt. Replacing inserts takes to much time you have to remove and reinstall the 6 screws every time you want to use a different insert, in my shop it has been relegated to my dado stack only. I use home made individual inserts for my other blades. With the dado stack you are messing around anyway so to replace the insert is no big deal. In my regular work flow I use specific use blades not a combo blade so I am swapping blades on a regular basis and just don't want to deal with swapping that plate out every time. gee-dubs version solves that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I see your point, pkineb, but I'm not sure that messing around with 6 screws would bug me as much as trying to get the dovetails just right.  How fussy are those? But in general I like this idea.

Given the fact there is another product that does the same thing without screws its hands down a better way to go. Like I said if your setting up for something (in my case dado's) no problem but if your rocking through a project switching back and forth it gets old really fast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a problem with the blade at 45 hitting the aluminum holder for the inserts. I called, sent photos. No resolve; they asked if I loosened all the table saw bolts and moved the table over; I said that was the first thing I did. Still hit the screws that hold the insert. No resolve from company that makes them. I wouldn't buy them if I were you.

9 minutes ago, Smashedfinger said:

I had a problem with the blade at 45 hitting the aluminum holder for the inserts. I called, sent photos. No resolve; they asked if I loosened all the table saw bolts and moved the table over; I said that was the first thing I did. Still hit the screws that hold the insert. No resolve from company that makes them. I wouldn't buy them if I were you.

This seems fairly specific.  What model saw are you using out of curiosity?  This will help others with your saw to avoid the product.  Works fine on a Saw Stop, Orion hybrid and a Delta.  I assume it also works on many others or they wouldn't be able to sell them.  I had a contractor that I couldn't move the trunnions far enough to suit me; I wanted a larger gap to reach my hand in for blade changes.  I turned the holes into slots and got the extra little bit I was after.  I assume the same thing might allow this item to work as desired.  On the other hand there are other options that don't require saw-surgery ;-)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gee-dub said:

This seems fairly specific.  What model saw are you using out of curiosity?  This will help others with your saw to avoid the product.  Works fine on a Saw Stop, Orion hybrid and a Delta.  I assume it also works on many others or they wouldn't be able to sell them.  I had a contractor that I couldn't move the trunnions far enough to suit me; I wanted a larger gap to reach my hand in for blade changes.  I turned the holes into slots and got the extra little bit I was after.  I assume the same thing might allow this item to work as desired.  On the other hand there are other options that don't require saw-surgery ;-)

It is an older Jet JTAS-10XL

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Rogmarine said:

I'd hesitate because I've seem to many perfectly good companies go out of business after only a couple of years. It seems you are bound to one source for inserts.

Not an issue you can make your own simple enough. I only use mine for specialty blades/dado's