Saving leaning 1798 chimney

Tom King

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pics I took with the good camera today.  It's in a very precarious state.  The plan is to jack the dropped side of the chimney enough to push those big stones back in place, and massive reinforcement to fill the whole base with concrete.  All those stones you can see down below the first floor firebox are the only ones left supporting weight, and are jagged enough to get a good grip on the mass of concrete, which should unitize the whole bottom of the chimney.

If that is successful, the next steps will be more excavations under the concrete, pour more massive footings, and more jacking.  Like I've done before, we'll end up leaving a number of large jacks in a big mass of concrete.......if it all doesn't fall down somewhere in this process.

I finally got a Foundation Board Member out today to see in person what's going on, what I'm doing, and she agreed that it had to be done.

DSC_0055.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, drzaius said:

That'll make for an interesting archeological dig one day.

Just like all those excavators underneath the wealthy London homes from rich people that wanted to expand their basements.

It makes sense to just encase the jack. Is there any chance of it rusting out and creating a weak spot? Probably not as rebar doesn't usually do this, but there is a reason the stuff under highways is epoxy coated.

There were six 25 ton hydraulic bottle jacks, and a 10" I-beam left in this pour.   There is plenty of cubic yardage of concrete under it for the metal not to be a worry.  It was just sitting on top of the ground when they built it.

DSCN8392.JPG

We also had to shove that one several inches back to the house. It's 43 feet tall. This is after that concrete pour.  As soon as we jacked it into position, I called for the concrete truck, and we built the form while we waited for the truck to get there.  After the concrete cured, and we pulled the form off, the Bituthene over the Bentonite clay panels was carried up over the concrete to ground level.  There is a big mass of concrete under that last pour, that we did the jacking off of.

East_Chimneyupperfootings.jpg

Those are actually two different chimneys, on opposite ends of the same house.  You can tell by looking at the stonework.

• Like 1

That last house belongs to a friend of mine.  It's on their family land, and his Mother always dreamed of restoring that 1828 house.  He said it took him 30 years to think about doing something about those chimneys, 30 days to meet with two chimney experts, and 30 seconds after meeting with the last one to decide to tell me to "just do it however I saw fit", because the experts wanted $30,00 in advance because if they dropped the chimney out into the yard, he wouldn't want to pay them.  We did both chimneys for about half of that.

I had never done anything with moving a chimney before.  The owner works for NASA, and says that their definition of an "expert" is someone who has done something once before.  I guess that makes me an expert after doing those chimneys on that first house, but I'm still worried about losing this older, more fragile one.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that it will come falling down. It appears that, if you don't know what you're doing, are good at making things work on the fly. I do hope that if anything catastrophic does happen that no one gets injured or worse.

This is very interesting to follow

It's seriously in a precarious state, and is indeed in danger of losing the whole thing.   When it was built, concrete hadn't been invented yet, so the mortar is Lime Mortar, which is really nothing but Lime, and Sand.   It does not have anything like the adhesive strength of what we know as mortar today.  It does get stronger, as Centuries pass, and the Lime tries to turn into Limestone by absorbing carbon dioxide out of the air, but being just 223 years old, it's nowhere near maximum strength yet.  Long story short, no brick in this chimney is secure without support from underneath.

I'm not worried about any of the firebox collapsing.   I can rebuild that, and will have little effect on the final result for the whole chimney.   I can rebuild the whole chimney, if needed, but I'm running out of working years, and they would never be able to raise enough money anyway.   Preservation is saving what's there, with as little changing as possible.

I you look at the last picture, the stone with a whitish top, in the center of the picture, is the key for that whole side staying up.   A new stone wall was laid in the middle of the 20th Century with Portland Cement Mortar to replace that basement wall.  That wall is seen next to the floor.  They undermined the chimney when digging out enough room to build the wall, and that's why we have this problem now.

On the left end of that stone, what you see draped over it is some of that concrete mortar.   If that mortar wasn't there, I think that stone would move enough to become a catastrophic event. It needs to be a breakaway point in order to jack the chimney after the mass of concrete is poured.  Sandbags will be stacked on edge against that stone wall, so the chimney can move independent of that wall, but still letting that piece of mortar break.  If the wall cracks, it won't be anything catastrophic, but I think we might get lucky, and save both.

My reputation could go either way with this.

Tomorrow, we will need to take down the scaffolding on the outside back of the chimney, but leave the stack on the side.  Then the joints between the stones will need to be pointed with mortar, and smaller stones.   After that, the massive wooden structure around the base needs to be finished, the sandbags stacked, and then we'll be ready to pour concrete.  It all wouldn't have been so bad, if we weren't in this worse heat spell in recorded history, and our days being cut short because of it.

Also, we ended up working all day today, in this heat, saving a porch on a house I built 30 years ago, that a tornado hit this past week.  It will end up being fine, but we're both worn out to start the week tomorrow, and that house will have to wait like we stabilized it today, until we get this chimney stabilized (hopefully).

In the next to last picture, look up under the row of dark bricks (good hard high fired, and you can see the remnants of one dark brick.  That one brick remnant is holding up the whole row above it, and a pyramid shaped group above too.  It would have lost a lot more bricks if that hard brick part wasn't still there.

The five bricks in a row, on top of the large stone, are the ones I laid today.  They're all whole bricks, and very irregular on their bottoms.  Half of the brick lengths protrude into the void behind the large stone that will get filled with concrete.  Those whole bricks should bond to the concrete, and make the whole structure above them much more secure than its ever been. 

The thing sitting on top of the second from the left, of the five bricks, is a stone to keep it from tipping back until the mortar sets.

I tried to get the part I pointed to look fairly close to the original stonework that didn't have any mortar in the joints.  I put those small stones in place in the joints.  When we lay the stonework for the new basement, if they ever raise enough money, I'll use mortar similar to this, but it will not come out anything like this close to the surface, so hopefully, it will look closer to the original.

That stone with the white stuff on it was originally tight against the end of the large stone.  It tipped out, and caused the chain reaction that made the chimney lean.   There just happened to be a very large stone, sitting right beside it, that temporarily prevented it from falling all the way to the ground.  We picked that large stone (the one on the ground doing the holding) out of the yard, and put it back in there "to get it out of the way", some years ago when we were doing the grading for waterproofing the basement that had standing water in it.

• Like 1

Concrete pour scheduled for Friday morning at 8:30.  We have a massive wooden structure around the stonework built out of 2x12's bolted together, with 4x's bolted to them, and held in place by stakes driven in the ground.  All stones are wedged against the 2x12's.  Hard to know how much is enough because we're going to need to run a vibrator down in the concrete to make sure it moves into all the small recesses.

It dropped some on the right side from Friday, to Saturday.  It wouldn't have been noticeable, but I screwed a couple of 2x4's to the 4x6 clamps when we took the face scaffolding down to be able to build the "form", and allow access for a concrete truck.  Those screws were broken when I gave a tour Saturday morning.  One more critical supporting brick had crushed.  Those 2x4's are to hold the clamp 4x's up to keep them from dropping, and binding when they are loosened when we jack the chimney back up.

Access is down a dirt path for a quarter mile back in the woods.   We've had enough rain lately that we had to wait for it to dry out enough to get a concrete truck back in there, and also work with their scheduling.

News teams expected to be there.  It's either going to be an award winner, or a colossal failure.

IMG_1891.JPG

• Like 1