Tell me about your avitar

ChetlovesMer

Yeah so I'm looking at the bear at the picnic table which is Stampy's avitar and wondering; "Is that in front of Stampy's house?" I wonder.

Then I thought why not start a thread where people could explain their avitar. I mean Jason has that cool little dog in the bun and Marc of course looks like he's just struggled trying to set up some complex jig or something. So let's hear about them.

I'll go first.

My avitar is just me sitting on the part of our deck on the day I had just finished priming the inside of the stand alone workshop we built in the back yard. I was pretty tired, but excited as heck about the shop coming together.

Mine is actually an "Avatard" as the artist calls him. It was drawn by Josh Latta - www.lattaland.com

For a very reasonable amount of dough, $25 for the size I got, and a few moments emailing him a couple of pictures and whatever info about yourself you want to give he'll do a cartoon rendering "Avatard" of you and send it back via email in a week or so.

I sent him a face shot, couple of pics of me on a bandsaw and at a lathe with my son and mentioned that I was into woodworking. What you see is what I received back from him and, if you've ever seen me, he got me pretty darned well. It looks like a cartoon me.

• 2 weeks later...

<- That's my reflection in the face of a #4 plane blade. I think that this level of polish is unnecessary, but I'd heard that some people have been able to polish a lapped blade to look like a mirror in a few minutes so I had to try it. I think this took me 5 minutes on an 8000x Norton waterstone. It's a cool picture that implies that I am a hand-tool guy who knows how to sharpen.

EDIT: No, it's not. Apparently I don't use that avatar on this forum! That would be what I call the Ghost Mirror. After lapping the bottom of a plane on the back of a mirror, I noticed that I could see through the mirror. So I found a picture of myself and put it behind the mirror and framed it.

Hey Chet that picture is my mother in law.... :D

Actually my mother sent me this picture that a friend of her's took. Not sure of the exact location, but somewhere in Northern Ontario where my parents live. I'm guessing that the bear was an uninvited guest at a back yard picnic.

I love the way the bear is looking right at the camera.

My plan is to photoshop some beer cans on the table.... :P

Stampy

Hey Chet that picture is my mother in law.... :D

Actually my mother sent me this picture that a friend of her's took. Not sure of the exact location, but somewhere in Northern Ontario where my parents live. I'm guessing that the bear was an uninvited guest at a back yard picnic.

I love the way the bear is looking right at the camera.

My plan is to photoshop some beer cans on the table.... :P

Stampy

Thanks Stampy,

I think you should do a series of photos. You could photoshop in a plane and make it look like the bear is flattening the table. You could add beer cans, but you could also remove the table and replace it with a table saw, or a jointer, all kinds of fun options. Great picture, liked it the first time I saw it.

Mine does not compete with any of these that are already listed. I recently changed mine from the Volkswagen corporate logo (as I'm a fan) to something I found recently. It says more about me than I care to admit, actually.