Screws

FFryan

I have become a fan of the square drive screws. I bought a sampler pack from McFeely's and was really pleased with their screws. My suggestion if your going restock your screw bins, would be to make a list of the different types of screw applications you will most likely be using the most along with the different material thickness's. If your a pocket hole joinery person you will want to get several sizes of these as you go through a lot of them. The one style I have yet to see the need for is the finish nail type head. I like to have a combination of the conical head like a drywall screw and those that are flat like pocket hole screws for most general screwing.

I bought the McFeelys kit; very nice mix of screws. Just one caution: some mixed kits don't have any 1" screws... they go 3/4" to 1 1/4" with no stop at 1". So maybe order some 1" with your mix if the mix you select doesn't have them. I found I wanted 1" screws often (probably just because I didn't have them :))

Square drive are nice for not slipping. I've used Torx as well and like those a lot. I've seen glowing recommendations for GRX torx screws, which is what I'll stock with next. Square drive aren't supposed to slip, but I've found that in smaller screws from McFeelys that the square recess sometimes isn't bored out properly, so you cam-out. Never found that or a similar problem with Torx, which is why they are next.

I am a fan of the Torx drive. I dont use anything but anymore I dont have anything but in the shop. Well, actually I have one box of phillips, but they are just siting there. Havent really used them. Been sitting there for a long time. I'll get around to using them sometime, but I just cant bring myself to it right now.

A while back I took a chance and tried out the Spax screws that McFeeley's carries. They are really nice screws. They are really strong, they have a serrated thread so that they are self drilling, and with the Posidrive head they don't cam out as much as Philips head screws do. As I use up my McFeeley's square drive screws, I'm replacing them with the Spax counterparts.

A while back I took a chance and tried out the Spax screws that McFeeley's carries. They are really nice screws. They are really strong, they have a serrated thread so that they are self drilling, and with the Posidrive head they don't cam out as much as Philips head screws do. As I use up my McFeeley's square drive screws, I'm replacing them with the Spax counterparts.

+1 on the Spax. Very nice holding screws...

-Jim

I never thought too much about it. I just used what I had around, which used to be drywall screws. But a couple years ago, when I built my kitchen cabinets, I bought all my cabinet hardware from wwhardware.com . Since I was buying so much at the time from them, I also bought square drive screws from them. Man was that an eye opener. For any of my real projects that need screws, I won't use anything else now.

I thought they were a good price and I still think they are a good price there. But like anything, as soon as you buy something you find a better price. I don't fret over a few pennies now for screws. The square drive screws are worth every extra penny.

Tim

Robertson boy's. Those square heads are called Robertson head, and have been the staple up hear north of the border for...as long as I can remember. Just another in a long line of great gifts we have bestowed upon you.

Like Canadian Beer, Back Bacon, Neil Young and Pamela Anderson....you can keep her.

And what do we get in return?

Randy Quaid......

Can we have our beer back? :P

Stampy

• Like 1

It sounds like I need to try McFeely's. For strength, I've had really good success with Simpson screws available at the local box store. Maybe this is just a response to all those broken drywall screws that I no longer use. Sure, this is for a different use than most "fine" woodworking applications, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Drywall screws aren't designed at all for our uses. They are designed to pierce gypsum and a little ways into pretty green softwood. They're all teeth, no shank, which is why you're breaking them. They are designed that way to prevent mushrooming without predrilling.

No kidding? I had always wondered why there was no shank on a drywall screw. And now I know.

Thanks Paul. :)