Does Mineral Spirits Raise Grain?

Mark J

I usually use a tack rag to clean off sanding (P600) dust prior to surface coating, but a brand new rag always leaves splotches of residue on the piece.  Compressed air and vacuum don't do a good enough job removing the dust in my opinion.  A rag with mineral spirits is effective, but will this raise the grain?

It shouldn't. I can't make a guarentee on that as it depends on the brand you get if there happens to be a bit of water or something in there. Mineral spirits alone should not raise the grain though. Otherwise oil based finishs would require pre-raising the grain and sanding back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Water would settle to the bottom of the tank and wouldn't be picked up until the tank is almost empty. The water level would have to be above the stand pipe. My father and I had that happen in two different states.  We changed gas stations. The only thing would be the water mixing with the ethanol. Will check with a chemical engineer on this.

I think if you mix water, ethanol and gasoline together that the water and gasoline would form separate layers, with the gas on top.  The ethanol molecules, which can "dissolve" in either "solvent" (water or gas) would distribute themselves into the two layers with the affinity of ethanol for each of the two solvents determining the distribution of ethanol.  

Or I could be completely wrong.  I had to take organic chemistry, but it was a heck of a long time ago.