Squeaking table

momo

Hello Cyber-Woodworkers! I recently purchased an old Gibbard walnut table with 2 drop-down attached leaves and 2 independent leaves. It has many legs and hidden, wooden moving parts underneath the tabletop.

Does anyone know how can I stop the table from squeaking without having anything (graphite, oils, etc.) drip onto my carpet and while also maintaining the authenticity of the table? I have heard rubbing bar soap on the moving parts may be a solution; Has anyone one else tried this? Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

There is actually an old-time furniture finish based on soap, but I'd go with the wax. Candle or beeswax, paste will work as well, but needs a little care to avoid leaving globs that might soften and drip onto the floor.

That goofy Chris Schwartz did an article singing the praises of a soap finish. He tried to make it sound like a wonderful, long lost miracle finish. I wasn't convinced. He's interesting and a good writer, but he as some odd ideas.

If paraffin is just rubbed on, there is no dripping or mess at all.

Dad always used paraffin, so that's what I've always used, but I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House just last night, and Rich Trethewy was recommending soap for lubricating wooden drawer runners.  Everybody has a bar of soap in the house, so maybe it's just a convenience thing?

I like paraffin but, I find it rather crumbly and it can make a mess if you are not careful. Also, because it is solid, it is difficult to get into tight spaces where you need it. For the last year or so, I have been using the wax from a toilet wax seal. They are cheap at the big box store and the wax is soft enough that it can be brushed into tight spaces with a small acid brush or, likewise, spread onto flat surfaces with the brush.