Powermatic 8" mobile base


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Chet said:

What were the reviews saying about the PM base and maybe I can speak to them, that is the one I have.

They were saying it was flexing when they had heavy boards on it and that the whole thing was cheaply made and moved as well when jointing and the wheels wouldnt lock solid and keep the thing from moving.

Thanks for the ideas guys I will check them out as well ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

They were saying it was flexing when they had heavy boards on it and that the whole thing was cheaply made and moved as well when jointing and the wheels wouldnt lock solid and keep the thing from moving.

I have had mine for two years so things may have changed in the product, but I haven't experienced any of that.  The wheel did take a little effort, probably more then it should but mine do lock.   The one complaint that I have is that on occasion I kick it as if it was in the way but I think that is with any base because it sticks out from the edge of the machine.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chet said:

I have had mine for two years so things may have changed in the product, but I haven't experienced any of that.  The wheel did take a little effort, probably more then it should but mine do lock.   The one complaint that I have is that on occasion I kick it as if it was in the way but I think that is with any base because it sticks out from the edge of the machine.

 

well, maybe it is worth a shot to start with them first and see how it goes ... amazon has a great return policy

 

I found a used - very good condition one on amazon that says it only has cosmetic defects for $85...I snagged it right now to give it a good and if it works I saved ~$130 or so, so cant beat that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I would not want a jointer on a mobile base that didn't release to the floor. I have mobile bases on my drum sander and lathe but when not moving they sit on rubber feet on the floor, they are both Bora bases. For my router table and others I have Shop fox where you just lock the casters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

FWIW I would not want a jointer on a mobile base that didn't release to the floor. I have mobile bases on my drum sander and lathe but when not moving they sit on rubber feet on the floor, they are both Bora bases. For my router table and others I have Shop fox where you just lock the casters.

why is that? Just because of the possible movement when pushing wood through?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

why is that? Just because of the possible movement when pushing wood through?

Yep much more stable. So on machines like those I want firm footing. I want all the feedback I get coming form the machine and the wood not the machine moving around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I want all the feedback I get coming form the machine and the wood not the machine moving

This was a real problem with my last jointer but I haven't felt this problem at all with my present one.  I have often thought about taking the jointer off the mobile base.  I really think that my shop is set up with a pretty good work pattern, but I know as soon as I do I will come up with a necessity to move it. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

FWIW I would not want a jointer on a mobile base that didn't release to the floor. I have mobile bases on my drum sander and lathe but when not moving they sit on rubber feet on the floor, they are both Bora bases. For my router table and others I have Shop fox where you just lock the casters.

Do you know of any that do this?  I have not seen it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.