Looking to upgrade my RO sander

Valleyslim

I have a cheapy ryobi RO sander, and just recently bought 100 mirka sandpaper 5" so would like to stay with 5 inc RO sander. Budget ~150$. I have yet to try the new sand paper on the ryobi yet. Im currently sanding an end grain cutting board and im going through diablo sandpaper like crazy and seems like im not getting anywhere sanding the saw blade marks down. I know end grain is difficult to sand but im pretty sure my 35$ ryobi is also part of the problem too. Thanks in advance

Two questions:

1. Is your sander connected to a vacuum? Removing the spoil is key to sanding efficiently.

2. Are you starting at a low enough grit? Saw marks can be pretty deep. Don't be afraid to start with something like 40 grit to get the surface level. Work up in small increments, and your sanding will be much more effective that trying to start finer.

I have a Dewalt 120v single speed ($69-ish) and  a Kobalt 24v with variable speed ($79-ish). The variable speed can really help, especially in the finer grits. Keeping the heat down helps the paper, AND the interface pad, from wearing out too quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Two questions:

1. Is your sander connected to a vacuum? Removing the spoil is key to sanding efficiently.

2. Are you starting at a low enough grit? Saw marks can be pretty deep. Don't be afraid to start with something like 40 grit to get the surface level. Work up in small increments, and your sanding will be much more effective that trying to start finer.

I have a Dewalt 120v single speed ($69-ish) and  a Kobalt 24v with variable speed ($79-ish). The variable speed can really help, especially in the finer grits. Keeping the heat down helps the paper, AND the interface pad, from wearing out too quickly.

I need to get off my lazy butt and just hook up my dust deputy and shop vac, but no suction right now, just shooting it into the bag it came with. Im starting at 80 grit and it doesnt seem to take off any end grain at all after 15 minutes of sanding

44 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

I wouldn't start with 40 grit. That's an eating grit I'll use 40 only for really depends scratches. Usually 60 grit is my first pick unless it's real deep.

You really should start at 80 grit and work you way up.

user323_pic12313_1518960494.jpg

My table saw is incredibly out of line. I watched a video on my specific saw and i cant just move the cast iron. I have to adjust the motor. but the saw marks are pretty deep and im starting at 80 grit and its taking forever to get rif of the saw marks. To be honest i've done 2 days of sanding at 80 grit and the saw marks arent even going away, i may have to start with 40 or 60. I just did a river table and taking it to my local lumber yard to have it run through their drum sander, i may just bring my cutting board and have them run it through also, thanks for the advice

20200105_163240.jpg

• Like 2