Yet Another Dust collection question

SteveKoz

I'm running an Oneida dust collection system with 6" hard piping.  At one port I've attached the Dust Right 4" system which works great as a vacuum as well as when I attach it to my Dewalt planner.  Dual usages which is great.  Today I was doing some biscuit joining and the collection bag was jamming up causing a problem.  I'd like to attach a hose to the 1 1/2" port on the joiner.  Rockler has a kit that will work that plugs into a shop vac.  They also have an adapter that would accept the 2 1/2" shop vac end on one side AND the Dust Right 4" on the other.   So I would be going from 6" to 4" to 2 1/2" to 1 1/2" .  Am I going to be disappointed in how much material this setup is going to pull?   The joiner and I'm guessing a router would be the same in that they don't really blow the chips with much force so I'll be relying on the sucking power of the system to keep things clean.   Appreciate any help.  Thanks!  

I think going from 6" to 1 1/2" is going to choke the air flow and give you very poor results.  That 1 1/2" port on the biscuit joiner is intended for a shop vac and I think that's the way to go.  If the Oneida is the only thing you have in the shop that sucks then you're going to want to supply some additional air to the DC.  You could open a run elsewhere, or better, use a 1 1/2" wye at the end.  

In my shop I have 2 small diameter hoses connected to the dust collection system, which is pretty much a no no in the dust collection world. See below

IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.af0a2f3f38f2f4562000dd7029cc19f7.JPG

IMG_0693.thumb.JPG.5c2f1682e25a06ad6c5742afbbccfc91.JPG

I use these for the the clean up of dust off tools, floor, etc and they work good. Having said that I would not use them hooked to a tool of any sort and expect them to do a good job its really asking to much. Jointers and planers are the worst because your not picking up dust but rather chips and even worse clogs can cause real issues. If it were me I would rethink that solution.