sheet good storage

duckkisser

so my little 20 by 17 shop is in need of some sheet good storage now I have most of my lumber stored in a walled in porch I converted 4 years ago.  it is 10 feet wide but a lot of that is filled with lumber, lawnmower, dust collector, air compressor, shelving to hold chainsaw ect…. I was thinking that I would build a thin sheet good cart that I could roll up to my lumber rack and when I need to get to my lumber I would roll to the other side of the walkway.  need to get through the walkway to get lawnmower out during the summer and all that.

other thought was too build a permanent rack in the front of my garage so its the first thing you see when you open the garage.  but ill need to build it so that it is raised up from the floor about 5 inches because I have some dust collection pipes stretching across the front of the garage to where some of my machines are.  not sure if ill have room for it  since the garage door closes at a slight angle and it might need to be moved too far in the garage and take up valuable floor space.  but it would be convenient since I cut up my sheet good in the driveway. 

basically I was wondering how do you guys store your plywood in your shop?

25 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I do my best to store plywood at the.....store. Rarely do I have a full sheet lying around.

The same with most fasteners for me.  Our local Ace Hardware does a lot better at selection, and organization than I want to bother with.  I just wish I had a good plywood supplier closer than 1-1/2 hours away, one way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

The same with most fasteners for me.  Our local Ace Hardware does a lot better at selection, and organization than I want to bother with.  I just wish I had a good plywood supplier closer than 1-1/2 hours away, one way.

I have the big box stores but there plywood sucks so if I need to get good quality need to drive a couple hours.  plus I just got a bunch of furniture quality ply for free and its right in the middle of my shop.....really in the way right now.  just thought that I might make some room for a couple of sheets of plywood never know when ill need to nock out something.  plus if I need to get plywood I need to borrow a truck.... my truck is in a scrap yard and I bought a hybrid compact

I have my bulk plywood stood perfectly vertical in my garage and then strapped in place. It's a good place to store it as all I do is park cars in there. I personally find that a sheet good cart would occupy more space than it'd save. Unless you pushed the sheet goods around your shop out of the way of what ever tool you needed to use. Small chunks og ply float around the shop and get used for random spaces or test pieces and then tossed.

Sheet goods are a PITA

My shop is not in my garage. I also have some ply stored in a 16x12 shed in my backyard but that is more long term storage as it's a PITA to get sheets up there and back.

Hi, Duck - I built a vertical storage rack to store my sheet goods. It will hold a dozen or more full sheets I one half, another dozen half sheets or 5x5 Baltic Birch ply and other partial sheets in the top. Works great. One thing to watch out for is be sure you can pull a sheet out without hitting something. 

It has worked out well, but I have found that writing the size of the sheet or piece on the edge so it is easy to see makes life easier. Many times I thought I had a full sheet only to find out it was a partial long piece.

I tried the cart, but it took up too much space and it was hard to get sheets in and out.

ok I found a solution I just said the hell with it and I cleaned out my side room, rearrange the shelves and tossed some junk.  now i moved by sheets in there and fixed my problem.  now there just leaning against my dust collector and air compressor. 

wish I could stack vertically but I have a shop that is only like 7 feet tall glad im short.