Handplanes

duckkisser

I was given some old hand planes. I don’t know anything about hand planes.  I know the longest a number eight is Bailey or baile too much dirt and age to make it out.There is a number seven that’s a sergeant. The rest look like Stanleys. Are they worth restoring or should I just hang them on the wall for decoration. I’m not much of a hand tool guy Are they worth enough to just sell

23B34A92-00FC-4A61-942B-4994DA406FBE.jpeg

2F5072D1-467E-48E3-99E4-49A39132BA54.jpeg

0FC68470-8655-43DE-8B03-DFABEFF4AC13.jpeg

A7059E90-7BDD-4DE2-9F54-E7A1F0D067A9.jpeg

0C7B5100-5548-4B7C-9996-E126E2057EC8.jpeg

551C4633-3993-4917-8B54-6405AA13FDA7.jpeg

That No 8 is worthless you should just send that to me and I'll dispose of it for you. :D j/k

They are defiantly worth using if you are willing to put in the effort to clean them up. They are worth selling as well if that's the route you decide to go. I'd suggest cleaning them off before posting them for sale. A clean tool will fetch 25% more than a dirty tool. I don't know if they are worth a ton, I'm not sure about the production the 8's but it looks like there are some missmatched parts on it though that could be how they came.

Does the small stanley in picture 4 have a number? It looks like a no 3, that and the 8 are probably the most valuable of the bunch. I don't know much about the sargents.

didn't see any numbers on the stanley

I'm not really a huge fan of hand tools and never used a hand plane don't want to fork over the cash to get a good one unless I try someone else's.  i took them just to get them out of his shop because my friends dad didnt want them.  but he wanted to clean up the garage but he wont get rid of anything endless cycle there.  plus i don't think that i have ever seen a #7 and #8 plane just the smaller ones and a jackplane.  at least that's what I think the two pair of smaller planes are. 

kinda thinking that ill sell I had some expenses this last month and need to make some extra money to pay them off soon as I can. 

If you sell them, you'll solve a little of your money problem, If you don't ever plan to use them, do one of two things.  Clean them up, do some research to find out their value and sell them, or clean them up and hang them on a workshop wall.  But either way, clean them up, it's not a difficult process, making users out of them becomes a difficult  process.

Depends on where the crack is. Any crack may devalue it as an antique, but may still be repairable as a user. Unless you work with full-size doors, or hand-mill your own stock, a #8 probably won't see much use. I have a #7 that is too long for most of my hand-planing jobs. One possible exception is using it on smaller stock by clamping in in a bench vise and pushing the wood across it. Common way to use a big plane for old-time coopering.

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Be sure to let us know before you sell. Some of this crowd enjoys restoring and using those old tools, and might offer a decent price.

if anyone is interested let me know and we can talk it out and see if your interested. right now I don't want to restore hand planes to make projects I want to pay for my dentist bill and make projects. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duckkisser said:

if anyone is interested let me know and we can talk it out and see if your interested. right now I don't want to restore hand planes to make projects I want to pay for my dentist bill and make projects. 

Duck, there is another thread on here about a guy looking for planes.  I mentioned yours, maybe you could reach out directly and make a deal that works for both of you.  His name is Zach Turner.  @Zach Turner