Exterior Paint

Chestnut

This is pointed at @Tom King but anyone can chime in. I always appreciate more information than less.

We're repainting the outside of our house and previously you recommended Sherwin Williams Emerald. Is that still your recommendation?

We also need to repaint the trim, windows, soffit, fascia, and gutters. Would the same Emerald work on those surfaces or is there a better product for these parts? I'd go ask the guys at the store but they aren't open and only take phone orders. Luckily i know the color i need already.

Home for lunch.

I imagine there are other companies that make stuff equally as good, but I don't know of anything better.  It's what I would still use.

Back before they came out with Emerald, Duration was the top of the line.  I painted an old house with Duration in 2008 (many have been 2007).  It's been pressure washed most years, and still looks like we just painted it after it's pressure washed.   I put a piece of blue masking tape in an inconspicuous place, and painted over it with Duration, on that house.  I looked at it last week when I cut the grass there, and that piece of masking tape is still right where I put it.  That was interior masking tape.  The Duration is still keeping the weather off of it just fine, and all the edges are still sealed all the way around it.

I haven't checked to see what the current sale price is, but hopefully it'll be either 30, or 40% off, which it often is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used oil based primer, even though the newer paints say they don't need it.  I don't have any better reason than on old houses we've worked on, I've seen much failed paint, but never seen failed primer, if the wood is still good.  They still use oil based primer on the buildings in Colonial Williamsburg too.

I haven't really done any side by side testing, to see if the primer really matters under today's best paints, so don't really have anything to go on, other than staying with what I know does work.

I don't think "new' matters as much as "dry".

By the way, I don't do any kind of social media stuff, so that @ sign in front of my name doesn't do a thing to alert me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Looks like a whole new house. Great work! So strange for me seeing a "smaller" house with a 3 car garage. Around here it would be a McMansion with a 7 figure price tag.

Thanks.

Here land is cheap and winter sucks, the 3 stall was an absolute requirement when we were looking. I don't think any of my vehicles have spent more than a few days in a row outside.

Though what is smaller in your neck of the woods? This house is 2,300 ft^2 finished with ~800 ft^2 unfinished (my basement shop). Most of the main floor has 10-12 foot ceilings. Which is on the smaller side for houses here.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

So strange for me seeing a "smaller" house with a 3 car garage. Around here it would be a McMansion with a 7 figure price tag.

LOL here the garages in many cases are bigger than house at least from the front facade. We are seeing more 4 car garages on new homes.

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks.

Here land is cheap and winter sucks, the 3 stall was an absolute requirement when we were looking. I don't think any of my vehicles have spent more than a few days in a row outside.

Though what is smaller in your neck of the woods? This house is 2,300 ft^2 finished with ~800 ft^2 unfinished (my basement shop). Most of the main floor has 10-12 foot ceilings. Which is on the smaller side for houses here.

That's true, I forgot about winter since ours isn't too bad. Our townhouse is 1,600 ft^2 with an 800 ft^2 basement (mostly finished) with no garage. 

Just searched in our county and most of the houses with 3 car garages are $900k+ and start at around 4,500 ft^2 but most are at least 5,500 ft^2.

Just now, legenddc said:

That's true, I forgot about winter since ours isn't too bad. Our townhouse is 1,600 ft^2 with an 800 ft^2 basement (mostly finished) with no garage. 

Just searched in our county and most of the houses with 3 car garages are $900k+ and start at around 4,500 ft^2 but most are at least 5,500 ft^2.

Wow yeah way different here. I live in the country where 2 1/2 acre lot's or more is a requirement. The new houses are similar in size to your with 3 or 4 car garages in the high $200's low $300's 

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Wow yeah way different here. I live in the country where 2 1/2 acre lot's or more is a requirement. The new houses are similar in size to your with 3 or 4 car garages in the high $200's low $300's 

Crazy. It would cost me about $200k to move from our townhouse to a house the same size with a 2 car garage. Most single family houses around here are on 1/4-1/3 acre.

There are new townhouses being built here .5 miles from my house that are starting at $800k. Crazy.

Back on topic, I just painted 6' of wood under a sliding door with Benjamin Moore exterior paint. It was about as thick as pancake batter. Was it the same with the Sherwin Williams?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legenddc said:

Crazy. It would cost me about $200k to move from our townhouse to a house the same size with a 2 car garage. Most single family houses around here are on 1/4-1/3 acre.

There are new townhouses being built here .5 miles from my house that are starting at $800k. Crazy.

Back on topic, I just painted 6' of wood under a sliding door with Benjamin Moore exterior paint. It was about as thick as pancake batter. Was it the same with the Sherwin Williams?

Bah don't worry about being on topic. :D

Yes it was quite thick, maybe not quite pancake batter, well maybe depending on how thick you like your pancakes. It honestly seemed a bit thinner than the Zinnser 123 primer I was using but not really any thicker than the interior paints i use. The big difference is there is zero sediment in the paint. I ran 15 gallons through the sprayer and didn't have a single tip clog and there was barley anything that got caught by the internal filters. I can't compare to BM paints I've steered away from any thing other than sherwin williams after Tom King posted about having poor luck with some other paints a while back.

• Like 1

@chestnut, did the airless give you any trouble from paint drying in the works?  I recently bought a cheap Wagner HVLP for some exterior painting, and it worked fine with the Valspar stuff I used for the lawn furniture, but I had to be careful to keep it exercised, or paint would turn to snot in the nozzle.

This thing came with a smaller gun that is supposed to be for clear finishes. If I get the opportunity to spray a piece of furniture, I'll be sure to post a review. Not that I have high hopes....

@wtnhighlander No not at all it did cross my mind because my turbine HVLP doesn't work if the tip crusts over so i have to keep it clean. I think because there is ~2,500 psi behind the tip it blasts anything that dries out of the way. The sprayer spent multiple long periods between sprays while i had to move ladders, reposition, or do edging touch ups i wouldn't doubt if there were 2 hours breaks at times. I had to cover the paint pail to keep the top from skining over.

The big downside is the waste for small projects. You are guaranteed to waste at least a cup of material every time you clean the sprayer. It's less so for the amount in the pump and spray house as that can be recaptured easily. Mostly it's just what sticks to the outside of the pickup hose. It's also very difficult to use small quantities. Less than a pint of paint in a 1 gallon can or less than a quart in a 5 gallon pail and there isn't enough for the sprayer to work.

For detailed hard to coat objects the waste would be worth it. I wish i had this when i coated my firewood rack.

• Like 1

One day last week, I came home after doing all I wanted to do that day, and Pam had the tack room cleaned out, and wanted it painted.  I sprayed one coat on it before Supper, and one after.  Each coat was two gallons, and took about 10 minutes for each coat.  I used a 1 foot tip extension, and whatever tip and setup the rig was at for the last thing I had sprayed with it.  Picture is after she painted the floor the next day.  I painted over wall switches, outlets, and anything else that was in the open.  She had white plastic grocery bags over the lights, so I could see.

The airless rig paid off that day.  She did have my supplied air rig pulled out, and ready to go, so that was a big help.

IMG_2499.JPG

• Like 2