Ugh! Crisis with veneer tape glue staining

I'm sinking into despair. I purchased some beautiful veneer and I'm book matching it so I have a seem down the middle that I used veneer tape to get a tight glue line. I made a clean, straight cut on both pieces, used blue tape on one side to squeeze it together, then put veneer tape on the other side, the show side. I then removed the blue tape, came off cleanly. So, in proper order I then glued the veneer to the substrate (3/8" Baltic birch ply). Yes, I put veneer on the other side too, both sides are the same.

So, it all went well and I got a nicely veneered panel for my G&G bed frame. Then...

I wet the tape and peeled it off. I noticed immediately that the glue from the veneer tape did not come off with the tape. So, I grabbed my scrapper and gave it a few swipes. Still there. It seems the glue got sucked into the open grain. I let it dry and hit it with my sander, 180, the 220 grit. Ugh, the glue stain is still there. HELP! I don't want to sand through the veneer. How can I remove the glue stain? I attached a photo, but it does not do the problem justice. But if you will, notice the dark staining along the glue line on certain grain orientations - all within the tape footprint.

glue stain.jpg

3 minutes ago, JohnG said:

If you wet the area with mineral spirits is it still noticeable?

Yes, that's one of the first things I tried after sanding it. It's rather subtle, cause of all the grain switching directions, but I'll forever see it.

I plan to shellac and wax coat it, like the rest of the frame. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I wipe on the shellac - I'm afraid it's gonna be more noticeable.

yeah, it's more obvious in person when you move it around. But, I took the side that will be against the wall (also beautiful by the way), and went for the finish. Turned out OK, in all honesty it will probably only be noticed by me...but I'll have to learn to live with that for the rest of my life, because it's my bed.

Hum the one time that i did veneer I sanded off the veneer tape per a recommendation from  a Member who too a few classes on veneering. A hard pad sander with 220 grit removed it quickly with minimal worry about sanding through.

I also wonder how much did you wet the veneer tape before you applied it? I was working with genuine mahogany so the pore structure was the same and didn't have any glue get in the pores.