Question For Festool RO Sander Owners

freedhardwoods

I have the150/5  Which was recommended to me by Shane who is a member here and knows many things when it comes to Festool.  The 150/3 is the one you want if you do a lot of fine grit sanding and going for the glass smooth finish because it has a smaller stroke.  But the 150/5 is probably more in tune with your cabinet shop.  My 150/5 is the brushless version.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have the150/5  Which was recommended to me by Shane who is a member here and knows many things when it comes to Festool.  The 150/3 is the one you want if you do a lot of fine grit sanding and going for the glass smooth finish because it has a smaller stroke.  But the 150/5 is probably more in tune with your cabinet shop.  My 150/5 is the brushless version.

Where is Shane?  He hasn't been around for to long awhile.

Well Festool $ells it, of course.  I think Klingspor also sells disks that fit.  

Klingspor has an industrial "branch" and also sells retail through their "Klingspor shop".  I have an account with the industrial branch (so you don't have to be much of an "industry"), and I think their prices may be lower than the shop.  I certainly get personalized service.

As touched on before the optimum stoke will depend on the grit. If you are stating at 100 and sanding up to 220 the 150/3 will give you a slightly better surface finish on higher grits. It'll work well to smooth finishes and paints. The 150/5 will work at higher grits as well but there may be more sanding defects, the upside to the 5mm stroke is it will remove material at lower grits a bit faster. Not incredibly significantly so.

Personally i think the 150/3 is the better choice for most shops. Getting bulk removal with a drum sander (or wide belt sander in your case) belt sander or hand plane is easy but the finer sanding pattern isn't as widely available. The other option is multiple sanders have a 150/5 for 60-150 grit and the 150/3 for 150 and above. Shane and I talked about this at length and 150-180 grit in his opinion was the cross over point between the sanders for optimum stroke for the given grit. So it really depends on where your priority lies. I can't say that any one sander is what a cabinet shop should have. If you start goign to smooth glossy finishes the 150/3 will be a much better bet. If you are just removing wood they both will work with a slight nod to the 150/5 due to marginal speed difference.

3 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

Where do you get sandpaper for it?

I use the granat sandpaper from festool it's not cheap but it's good paper. Avoid rubin II. I know nothing about klingspor

• Like 1

Freed, I was going to bring up the subject of vacuum/dust collector.  I'm a turner, so not the resident ROS expert, but from what I understand the vacuum you use (or dust collector as Festool calls them) is an important factor in the ROS performance.  You definitely want to be able to adjust the amount of suction.  

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I use the granat sandpaper from festool it's not cheap but it's good paper. Avoid rubin II.

Chestnut, what do you like about granat and dislike about rubin II?

34 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Freed, I was going to bring up the subject of vacuum/dust collector.  I'm a turner, so not the resident ROS expert, but from what I understand the vacuum you use (or dust collector as Festool calls them) is an important factor in the ROS performance.  You definitely want to be able to adjust the amount of suction.  

Chestnut, what do you like about granat and dislike about rubin II?

From my experience the grante removes material better. It also has the blue coating that keeps the grains on the paper better. With rubin i got a lot of grit to fall off the paper and then caused awful pigtails. Also i feel the paper lasts quite a bit longer.

I get a lot of exclamation about how many projects i complete. I bought a 100 pack of 180 grit 3 years ago and am not even half way through the box. This is my ONLY box of paper until a couple months ago when i added 120 grit for carpentry work.