Dewalt 735 Shelix blade rotation

Tommy Hall

Disclaimer: This comment is based on hearsay, not personal experience.

When rotating the carbide cutters, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to clean the cutter, the screw, and the surface of the head to remove ALL particulates. The tiniest bit of wood dust will prevent the cutter from seating properly, producing a mark in tbe cut. A larger or harder particle can even allow the carbide cutter to crack when tightened.

If you did all that, then perhaps there is a variation in cutter manufacture? The maker of the head may have advice to offer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Hall said:

Has anyone rotated the blades on their Dewalt 735 with the spiral cutter.  Two of us at the shop gave it a try with some success but they are not perfect like when it was new.

Any input would be appreciated.

Tommy Hall

Amesbury, MA

Can I ask why you needed to rotate the cutters?  I have had my spiral cutter installed for close to 6yrs now and it still cuts like new.  But as @wtnhighlander said the cutter has to  be spotless for the cutters to seat correctly.

Follow the instructions here. https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-26182198/documents/5a6b670f80299V7oHSw2/shelix knife replacement or rotating.pdf

Use a torque wrench to get the exact same torque on each cutter. This one is good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M12284X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Can I ask why you needed to rotate the cutters?  I have had my spiral cutter installed for close to 6yrs now and it still cuts like new.  But as @wtnhighlander said the cutter has to  be spotless for the cutters to seat correctly.

I agree and disagree. Years is a bad measurement as you may run 500 BF through your planer in 6 years while another guy may run 2,000 BF in 3 years. Also material type and condition matters. 50BF of painted material could will wear the cutters out. Dirt and other debris matters too. Even BF is a poor measurement as full width linear feet is probably the most accurate but also the most difficult.

I have about 500-750 BF of material through my planer and the knives are still good. I'd venture a guess that i could run close to 2,000 BF before needing to rotate. If you run a couple hundred feet a year that's 10 years.