Cutting a SawStop ICS down to size

Drawdoow

I replaced my 35 year old contractor saw ( 24 x 22 inch table ) with a SawStop, but didn’t want to increase the floor footprint.   So which SawStop model would be best for minimizing footprint?  The SawStop PCS motor is normally sticking out the left hand side of cabinet, and moves inside when the blade is set to 45 degrees.  The SawStop contractor saw motor hangs out the back.  The SawStop ICS offered the best floor space efficiency because the motor is normally inside the cabinet, and sticks out under the right hand wing when blade is set to 45 degrees.   By installing only the right hand wing, and cutting the fence rails down to size, the floor space footprint was kept the same as old contractor saw.  

See video for details  YouTube

SawStop ICS.jpeg

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm having trouble understanding the circumstances that would drive the desire for such a small saw table.  Does your workflow normally lean mostly to ripping operations at the table saw?

I work mostly in hardwoods so a wide ripping capability is rarely required.   With the SawStop cut down to size, I can still rip 24 inch wide.   I also use the saw for crosscut and 45 degree cuts, but always with a dedicated sled that slides in the mitre slots.  The one time I would like a large table is cutting 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, but my shop is just too small for that kind of equipment, so I have to cut those sheets down to rough size with skill saw and then trim on table saw.  My old contractor saw had a table 24 inch wide, while my cut down SawStop with one wing attached is 34 inch wide, and the old saw table depth was 22 inch while the new saw table depths is 30 inch, so for me this feels like a large table.  Everything is relative I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

OP, the saw pictured is a miter saw cutting what looks like ferrous metal with an abrasive blade and not a table saw unless I’m missing something? 

Sorry for the confusion.  The photo shows a rail of the sawstop being cut shorter using abrasive metal cutting blade.  The video shows the table saw.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:27 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I'm having trouble understanding the circumstances that would drive the desire for such a small saw table.  Does your workflow normally lean mostly to ripping operations at the table saw?

Non cabinet  makers.  But they always break sheet good items down with another tool. I see no value either..