Where to put twin turbo vise on roubo

gvajcner

Hi all - I bought a twin turbo 20” vise back in 2019 with the kickstarter and I’m finally going to make a bench to go with it. I’ve always thought I’d build the split top roubo (I’ve had the guild project for years, just not the time nor space) and I’m just wondering where others have put their TT vise on a split-top. I’m looking for thoughts on either

a) replace the tail vise with it,
B) replace the leg vise with it,
c) put it on the end opposite the tail vise or
d) put it on the corner opposite the leg vise.

I would consider myself an advanced-novice to intermediate woodworker, using mostly power tools and finessing with hand tools (I guess that’s the hybrid woodworking approach!). This will be my first “real” bench - I‘ve been using my MDF top out feed table as a bench for years, clamping various clamps and crud to it to hold things in place, pulling out my moxon every once in a while to help (funny note: my iPad autocorrects moxon to moron)

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts on which way to go with this.

thanks

-glen

I have a roubo and a twin turbo. I'd either do an end vise orientation and nix the wagon vise or corner opposite the leg vise. I have to disagree with the above about it replacing the leg vise. While i think it's similar there are tasks that a leg vise is better suited to that a twin screw wouldn't handle as well and tasks a twin screw handles well that a leg vise would struggle with.

Material wider than ~10" where you need to joint the edge starts to put the board edge at a height that is uncomfortable to plane with a twin screw while a leg vise can handle that well. Leg vise doesn't handle clamping operations that only use a corner of the vise jaw that well. Thw width of the twin screw makes using the vise in conjunction with the sliding deadman difficult especially in limited space. Projects like working on the edge of a picture frame present gaps in the leg vise wagon vise that a twin screw handles very well.

Take the time and build a roubo. You don't have to make it to the same size as the plans. There have been a few builds on here where people built one smaller to fit their space.  My personal roubo is ~84" long and honestly i could get away with a bench half that long as 90% of the time the other half is covered in detritus.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone! My only real thought about keeping the wagon vise would be to pinch boards for face planing or some touting operations. Planing I suppose could be done with a stop and the holding could be with dogs on the chop. All this to say, I’m thinking I’ll do a tail vise setup. I guess I won’t have to cut condor tails!

6 hours ago, gvajcner said:

Thanks for the advice everyone! My only real thought about keeping the wagon vise would be to pinch boards for face planing or some touting operations. Planing I suppose could be done with a stop and the holding could be with dogs on the chop. All this to say, I’m thinking I’ll do a tail vise setup. I guess I won’t have to cut condor tails!

You can accomplish the same pinching action with the twin turbo it's just a bit different. You'll have a dog hole or 2 in the moving jaw of the twin turbo and a set of dog holes on the bench that correlate. Then clamp the same way as the wagon vise. You don't need to have the wagon vise mechanic solely on the end of the bench either. You could face mount the twin turbo and pinch boards accross the top of your bench.

I have a 16" twin turbo.  Mouted on the a long side at the left end of the bench.  Works well for me.  Also put dog holes on the top of the vise fo flat work.  Also planed the top of the vise jaw to be level with the bench top and I use it for routing mortises.