Sanding

I know this is a loaded question and totally a personal preference, but does anyone have any good suggestions on sand paper or at least what to look for in a good sandpaper. I have probably over spent on what I currently am using and was not sure if there were some key qualities to look for when shopping. I figured I might buy a few to try them out and then stick with what seems to work. 

My favorite sand paper is a #4 smoother, 2nd favorite is the #3 i got a year ago, also on the list is a card scraper for tough grain.

Jokes aside I use festool sanders and festool paper. It's available and works well. I use a smoothing plane a LOT so i only stock 180 grit paper and it took me a good 4 years to use half of a 100 pack. What to look for? I like coated papers, they typically have a color. The basic dark red/brown papers haven't performed as well for me in the past.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodworking_Hobby said:

I know this is a loaded question and totally a personal preference, but does anyone have any good suggestions on sand paper or at least what to look for in a good sandpaper. I have probably over spent on what I currently am using and was not sure if there were some key qualities to look for when shopping. I figured I might buy a few to try them out and then stick with what seems to work. 

Hand sandpaper, ROS, etc

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

My favorite sand paper is a #4 smoother, 2nd favorite is the #3 i got a year ago, also on the list is a card scraper for tough grain.

Jokes aside I use festool sanders and festool paper. It's available and works well. I use a smoothing plane a LOT so i only stock 180 grit paper and it took me a good 4 years to use half of a 100 pack. What to look for? I like coated papers, they typically have a color. The basic dark red/brown papers haven't performed as well for me in the past.

Thanks!  I am jealous of your hand tool ability and have not quite gotten their with my skills yet. When you are using a smoothing plane are you using that to get down to your final dimensions or do you use that after your parts are milled in stead of starting with a lower grit sandpaper.  I have a small block plane that I am in the process of tuning up and one larger plane that I need to mess with some as well. 

Hand planes was just a time and experimentation thing for me. Using a guide for sharpening went a long way in getting me started. If refurbishing antiques buying modern irons and chip breakers makes the results better as well.

I do most smoothing post milling before assembly. I only own 180 grit and higher sand paper, IMO if i need to remove more material there is a better tool for the job. Depending on what I'm making some may be done post assembly but that is limited. I try my hardest to go from hand planed surface to finish. I really only sand in situations where i had tricky grain that forced me to use a combination of handplan and card scraper as the surface finish is slightly different and i use sand paper to blend them.

I also sand all plywood.

Ok slightly misleading i own lower grits of sand paper for they are for an angle grinder for power carving but that is an entirely different application and i only have 36 grit for that.

I only use wet-or-dry sandpaper with running water (not on wood, of course), or Abranet mesh disks with a sander that has good dust collection hooked up to a vacuum.  Even with good dust collection, I won't do the least bit without wearing a supplied air hood.  I have a beard, and respirators work pretty poorly with beards.  I refuse to breathe Any sanding dust.

• Like 1