Lathe Wheelie

Robby W

I have a Jet 14x42" lathe. I bought it about 15 years ago and have used it to make cradles for my grandkids, a couple of rollings pins, a handful of pens, knobs and a Harry Potter wand. It's probably too big for much of what I do, but someday I  use it for a new bed. 

In the meantime, I keep trying to find a place for it. Lately, it has been setting on a pair of Harbor Freight dollies so I can move it around easily, but it it sits too tall and I worry about it falling off. I thought about a mobile base, but none seem solid enough - they all get between the tool and the floor.

While looking at a Rockler ad, I got to thinking that maybe their workbench caster set might do the trick, so when they sent me a 10% coupon with free shipping, I bought a set. They came this week. 

I drilled and tapped some holes in the cast iron base, then attached the casters. My laser-like CNC precision using a tape measure, dull pencil and hand drill helped me drill one of the holes off-center. When my mule head decided to force one of the bolts, I twisted the head off. I tried all kinds of things to remove it, but ended up drilling another set of holes. Luckily, cast iron is easy to drill and tap, at least sort of.

Anyway, when l finished, the lathe rolls around easily. It isn't easy to deploy the casters. You have to lift the weight off them to press the leveler down. I had the use a lever to release them down again. Still, the lathe sets on the floor for use and rolls around easily. I think I am happy. :)

IMG_20210523_170114811.jpg

• Like 2

This is a good idea but you may need to make some adjustment to make it easier to use. Looking at you photo, it appears you may have the caster mounted to low on the leg. The bottom mounting hole should be 2" from the floor. These casters should only lift your machine about a +/-1/2" or so if they are set up correctly

Hi, @rainjer - I messed with it quite a bit before mounting them. What you don't see well in the picture are the leveling feet that stick down below the cast iron legs. When the wheels are down, I get about an inch of clearance. When up, the completely fold up out of the way. I ended using 1/4-20 bolts to secure things - the holes in the casters turn out to be 1/4", so it worked perfectly.

One other thing: I learned that the casters could be replace with a larger one if you do things right. They mount with a 3/8" stud to the plate.

• Like 1