Shadow Box Frame

gee-dub

On 12/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, wtnhighlander said:

What do you like to use for the spline material? More ply?

I prefer double tempered hardboard. Glues well, dimensionally stable, and pretty darn tough stuff.  I end up with scraps of it since I use it for backer board for picture frames as well as other things around the shop.

On 12/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, JohnG said:

I like the wooden pieces you have on your bessey clamps. Do you have these affixed to the contact pads in any way or are they just free? 

They float free. I notch them at the bandsaw with a shape that allows them to sort of snap on and snap off if I have a need to remove them. Most of my f-style clamps have them on pretty much all the time.

• Thanks 2

On 12/25/2021 at 10:00 PM, Coop said:

And the roll of toilet paper in case you have one of those really hard pucker glue ups? :D

:D . . . That does look like a roll of TP doesn't it?  It's actually a section of a paper towel roll.  I cut rolls into three sections and fashion disposable finishing pads out of them.  I had left them out after finishing the inside surfaces of the frame.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, gee-dub said:

...They float free. I notch them at the bandsaw with a shape that allows them to sort of snap on and snap off if I have a need to remove them. Most of my f-style clamps have them on pretty much all the time.

So they are there so you don't mar the surface? Kinda like the red plastic things they come with only they actually stay on the clamps?

On 12/26/2021 at 8:47 AM, pkinneb said:

So they are there so you don't mar the surface? Kinda like the red plastic things they come with only they actually stay on the clamps?

That's it.  They also help the f-style clamps get a grip on things that can sometimes be problematic for f-styles.  The "minis" are a far cry from something like the UniKlamps but the small size can do things even a 6" f-style may be too large for.  The minis, 6", 8" and 12" UniKlamps, and the 24" k-body clamps do the lion's share of clamp work in my shop . .. and probably in that order :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 4:32 AM, Chestnut said:

Is the back painted the same color as the wall or is it open with the tack hanging from the wall?

That's really cool.

The back is half inch Baltic birch ply with some canvas glued to it. There are small holes drilled through in inconspicuous places that allow pieces of wire to be threaded through and around the items that are mounted. Where the wires come through the back of the board they are twisted, pressed flat, and covered with tape similar to that you use to seal the back of a picture frame although just small squares.

There are then bumpers on the back that hold the back panel about a 1/16" from the wall so that the wires have clearance. The hanging method is keyhole slots.  Essentially the backboard mounts to the wall with the keyhole slots and has a French cleat profile along the top edge. The shadowbox has a matching French cleat profile at the top rear and simply hangs in place covering the backboard and becoming flush to the wall.

I put an 1/8" chamfer profile all around the back to create a shadow line. This will make any inconsistencies in the wall where it is hung less obvious. This is really a much more “crafty” type project than I generally do. It was done per a supplied general design (pretty much a doodle on the back of a napkin ;)) and as a favor.  It did give me an excuse to try out the veneering vac and bag so it was a win-win.

• Like 2