laminating veneer ribs and layers

Toby

I guys.  I'm new to the forum and have a lot of hardwood veneer that I expected to build a canoe or kayak from.  I'm thinking of ways to design the layers of laminations, like for ribs, with the grain direction controlled and sheet (layers of a lamination) cut on a laser for each layer of a plywood structure member.  I expect to use epoxy but bought a gallon of fiberglass to try some experiments with saturation.  Has anyone used thin veneer to laminate structures....aircraft or boat ribs?  My veneer is 1/40".   Thanks Toby

Commercially manufactured beams LVL's laminated veneer lumber, are made of veneer strips glued together under extreme pressure with all the veneer with grain running in the same direction creating a super ridged thin beam. I think if you do this correctly it should work. Good luck it sounds like a lot of work.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, Toby said:

I guys.  I'm new to the forum and have a lot of hardwood veneer that I expected to build a canoe or kayak from.  I'm thinking of ways to design the layers of laminations, like for ribs, with the grain direction controlled and sheet (layers of a lamination) cut on a laser for each layer of a plywood structure member.  I expect to use epoxy but bought a gallon of fiberglass to try some experiments with saturation.  Has anyone used thin veneer to laminate structures....aircraft or boat ribs?  My veneer is 1/40".   Thanks Toby

I use 1/16" veneer. It is thin enough to bend and it will take less sheets to achieve the desired thickness.  You just have more layers to glue.  For a bent lamination the West System of epoxy is the best which I have used.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When you said "gallon of fiberglass", I'm assuming you're talking about polyester resin.  I have a lot of experience with that and epoxy in saturating fiberglass cloth, and other uses.  I would strongly suggest to stick with epoxy for the lamination of the wood layers.