Floating Cabinet with a Floating Top

gee-dub

9 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I'm using this strength to resist racking like the skins on a hollow door . . . at least that's what I'm telling myself

Your methodology is sound. This is a great technique to increase strength for an orientation like this, a nice side benefit is a smooth interior side.

Wow, what a ride this is turning out to be. This is so above my head, I need to go build a box...just so I can feel good about myself.

Keep repeating yourself, just in case a newbie (like me) drops in...lol

I'd like to see a pic of that routing jig in use. I do a lot of pattern routing, and would like to see a safer way of doing it. Various size and shape plaques, with different edge profiles.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:50 PM, roughsawn said:

I'd like to see a pic of that routing jig in use. I do a lot of pattern routing, and would like to see a safer way of doing it. Various size and shape plaques, with different edge profiles.

This is hardly a tutorial so I will just stick it into this thread.  The next time I use the router template jig I will try to capture a more complete discussion.  Basically the jig is a milled piece of hardwood (oak in this case) attached to a platform (plywood in this case).

407336609_Float-Med-Cab(122).jpg.52411ed8d8299fa056d458e08f131cf2.jpg

1156891026_Float-Med-Cab(123).jpg.528ea3989a5bc0549ae6828b9d1be95d.jpg

I have numerous positions for the clamps to be screwed down and 150 grit abrasive applied to the fence and the base.  Some blanks rest against the fence and platform.  Smaller items frequently just get captured wherever they expose the edges to be milled.

413989333_Float-Med-Cab(124).jpg.d0f84a9bd3c9ae714f2e38b6ad2cc178.jpg

1738319531_Float-Med-Cab(125).jpg.bf32bf998c15da75117827bf16c7d8e8.jpg

I have a few sizes of template bits with top and bottom bearings.  I can put the template on top or below the blank to allow me to always route downhill.  My recommendations are to use a good stable hardwood for the clamp platform and to use a good quality screw. 

The screws need to handle the torque and to be reliable when removed and replaced many times.  These McFeely's screws have been in use since . . . (had to go check) . . . 2011 so paying a little more for a quality screw is not really "expensive".

The auto adjust clamps are great but, the original jig just used Harbor Freight knockoff De-Sta-Co clamps.  The advantage to the auto adjust is . . . well . . . the fact that they auto adjust when milling a variety of material thicknesses.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 2

File this under things I'm glad I did a mock-up of. Having never used either pieces of this hardware before I thought it would be prudent to NOT make my first attempt on the keeper. Here's my mock-up.
1602945094_Float-Med-Cab(131).jpg.2a960d4e475c08304e5b6f71afb252b1.jpg

1170955028_Float-Med-Cab(132).jpg.96df5e137ed5d066d783c7dde903922e.jpg

1682542962_Float-Med-Cab(133).jpg.101aa107cf28c41cdff19b7eabc01e9a.jpg

Things I've learned . . .
- Never do things for the first time on the final version of the piece you are working on image.gif.fbc2ab899b6bcfa6746308bfce30dc76.gif
- Layout as given in the technical docs is +/- 2mm which is typical for this sort of stuff. There is adequate adjustment in the hardware to fettle things into place.
- The resistance is quite high on the auto-close support. They are designed to be used in pairs and even at the lowest setting they are quite stiff to move. I may need to look at other hardware. Any suggestions would be great.
- The overlay of the door with the selected hinge in the closed position is exactly as expected so that's great.
Any tips on self closing drop front supports?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I may need to look at other hardware. Any suggestions would be gre

With most soft close hinges they lose strength over time. Is there a way to turn off the feature on one hinge? I've done that before and then swapped the effective hinge when they wear in.

Thanks. Good call on the 'wearing in'. It’s actually the friction arm that seemed too tight. The self close part works pretty well at the other articulation point. I decided it was going to work, or not work, so I went at it rather aggressively. After pivoting the arm a dozen times or so it began to ease up considerably. I believe these are going to work out OK.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 12:09 AM, gee-dub said:

Lol . . . No dust panel.but in our quasi-rural area there is plenty of dust. There is a full width gap at the bottom rear to allow cooler air in. The floating top let’s warm air escape.

I really REALLY like the idea of a floating top to allow for cool air to move through to keep equipment running. I need to make a comptuer desk at some point an di'm goign to make a floating top to keep the towers cool.

• Like 1