Floating Cabinet with a Floating Top

gee-dub

@gee-dub, I'm fairly confident that you could apply oil poly over the High Performance once it is totally dry. I seriously doubt it look 'right', compared to oil poly directly on bare wood, though. With the HP seal, the oil won't penetrate and enhance the chatoyance if the grain at all. IMO, HP is a great topcoat for paint or semi-opaque stain, but I prefer oil based finishes on bare wood.

• Like 1

Couple questions. Did you raise the grain? WB poly will raise the grain which is what picture 3 looks like. How heavy were you applying the poly? i typically spray WB poly until it gets a bit of a blue haze, not enough material laid down will not let it flow out as well and leads to poor surface finish. I'm also assuming you weren't trying to pore fill with the WB poly? you probably can pore fill but it'll require a few applications and sanding back.

The mark is probably a result of not letting it cure enough. Dry to the touch is 1 thing cured to hardness is another. If your goign to put some weight on it you might need to wait a couple hours before you flip.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:19 AM, Chestnut said:

Couple questions. Did you raise the grain? WB poly will raise the grain which is what picture 3 looks like.

Ding, ding, ding!  What an amazingly rookie move:unsure:.  I did not raise the grain :lol:.  I even have distilled water for just that purpose.  I got so absorbed in the "spraying" part of the process I left all my other good practices behind.

Experience will probably solve my issues but, proper technique (raising the grain) will probably give me a big jump on getting to where I want to be. Thanks @Chestnut

• Like 1

I did have a fairly rich brown dye tone on the material before spraying.  I don't know that the HP is to blame as much as my inexperience with it specifically and spraying in general :unsure:.

@Chet Thanks for the idea!  I'll give Enduro-Var II a shot (no pun intended) since I used nearly half of the HP experimenting (or was it goofing) around :rolleyes:

*** Update *** Wow, GF is really proud of that Enduro-Var; over twice the price of the HP product.  Of course that point is moot if the HP doesn't do what you want.  I'll still give it a try; I'm not one of those guys who spends a lot on time and money of something and then balks at the last $30 :D:D:D.

You were right about the color.  Your tried and true way looks best.

Spraying is one of those things that's easy once you get a feel for it, and it carries over to the different types of sprayers.

The highest number of issues I see are people holding the fan too way away from the piece being sprayed, and fanning the fan.  You want the coat to wet out good, but not thick enough to run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Glenn, your last post, first pic, the panel on the right, the lighter piece that runs from breadboard end to bb end, and the two lighter “stripes” that run perpendicular to this “stripe”, what are they from? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Tom King said:

Looks great, as well as the piece on top of it.   I'd run the wires inside the wall.

Good suggestion.  I had used the wire mold just kind of hanging there while we figured out the system and what was going to feed what.  Now that I have that pretty much figured out there is no reason not to fish those wires through the wall for a couple of feet.

That came out real nice gee-dub no matter how long it may have taken.  Great looking piece.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Tom King said:

I'd run the wires inside the wall.

Thats what I did I really like the clean look.  We have a newer TV that sits a few inches higher then in the picture and that makes me even happier that there are no wires.

IMG_5805.thumb.jpg.2bbd7db054f06c753dceed086d05fa2d.jpg

• Like 2