Card Scraper Sharpening

Coop

I personally like using the high grit stones that cremona shows, I've gotten the best shavings that way. That said I use the blocks like Marc does in his videos.

The other thing that I do is I'll use the burnisher, to straiten the edge and then roll it over multiple times before going back to the stones.

I use a Veritas jig version of the blocks for filing, diamond plates for honing and finish on a very fine waterstone. I have learned that Iike carbide burnishers best. I bought one from Lie-Neilsen that I really like. It moves very easily because it is so much harder than the scraper steel. Don't forget a drop of oil when burnishing. I use camelia oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Coop, one thing I discovered as I practiced burnishing was that it is easy to go too far, and curl the burr so much that you have to almost lay the scrsper flat to cet it to cut. Once you have squared the edges by whatever method you use, a few stroke with a relatively light hand will give you a cutting edge, and one that can be 'honed' srveral times with the burnisher before it needs to hit the stone again.

My preference is to burnish square to the face, so the edge is drawn out on both sides.

• Like 2

Coop keep in mind that the roughness of the surface has an impact on the shavings. When I'm card scraping a surface from a drum sander or a somewhat rough surface the shavings are smaller and closer to dust. Once the surface gets smoothed they resemble shavings. The shavings are so thin if there are surface imperfections you won't be able to get a continuous shaving.

I think your right where you need to be. The angle of the hook is a great point keeping the burnisher closer to perpendicular to the scraper makes them somewhat easier to use.

• Like 2