my plywood chair

AWBox

@AWBox, welcome to the forum.  There is certainly room in our discussions for CNC work.  Your project is a good looking design and looks like it came out great.  The flat seat looks a little hard, but how is it with the cushions?  The paint job looks very smooth, especially on the plywood edges.  Who does your CNC work and how do you farm that out?

photo with pillows
this is how it was conceived (in this case, I just highlighted another material with color)

133_chair_16.jpg.26508ec5a9db5697b61045d8ceb10ada.jpg

and this is how it's done

133_chair_15.thumb.jpg.e358bf7cf57ccbb1aa0952c173626742.jpg

More information is available on the link on my website.

https://mebel-sam.net.ua/proekty/item/224-proekt-133-kreslo-stul-iz-fanery

As far as I understood the rules of the forum - I can post a link. if this is not the case, please correct me.

I made the bottom pillow filled with felt. the masters warned me that it would be harsh. it was my choice. if filled with foam rubber or silicone - it will be softer.

could have done it differently. make a through cutout in the seat, pull the straps and put a pillow on top. but I did not know if I would use this chair with a cushion. so I did what I did.

The chair is quite comfortable - I have been using it for several years.

This is not my first furniture project. I paid special attention to ergonomics. Collected and classified materials on this topic. Therefore, when developing furniture, I try to set the boundaries of ergonomics. Seat height, backrest angle, armrest height, seat width - this is the minimum number of conditions that must be met.
It doesn't always work out, but I strive for it.)))
In addition, I always try to take into account reliability and structural rigidity. Both in production and in use.

For the CNC. All parts were cut on a conventional 2D CNC machine. The rounding of the edges was done with a manual milling cutter. Some faces before gluing, and some faces after gluing parts.

Sorry for my English - I'm writing with the help of google translator.

• Like 2

These are some very interesting pieces, and I am glad you posted them. Many newcomers can be intimidated by the up-front cost of tools, and the effort of skill development, when all they really want to practice us the design. You have illustrated how that is possible, using out-sourcing for the actual cutting of your designed parts.

@Mark J, it sounds like the OP is outside the US, but there are numerous services online, that will cut a g-code file for a small fee. A search "custom cnc cutting", turns up quite a few options.

• Like 2

Thank you!
Many people to whom I show this chair say: I could never do this, my hands are crooked!
It's actually much easier than it looks.
Basic knowledge of working with wood/plywood and handling a small amount of tools is required.
You need to know what and how to glue, polish and paint wood.
You need to be able to use an electric manual grinder (you can grind manually, but an electric one is certainly easier), a manual router, a screwdriver.
Previously, before the war, it was not even necessary to own it. There were places where you could come and rent the necessary tools and a workplace on which you could do the work right on the spot. Some of these places had their own CNC machines. Where could they convert your dxf file into a control program for a CNC machine and cut out everything you need. But then the "Russian world" came. And destroyed a lot.
Sorry, I digress.
Well, it's actually not as difficult as it seems. I think this is a great place to start. In fact, the manufacture of furniture consists of several stages. Among them, two are the creation of parts and assembly. A novice furniture maker does not have the experience and talent to create the details correctly and with high quality. The CNC will do it for him. The assembly process also has its own secrets and difficulties. But it's already much easier. In the assembly process, experience and understanding of the material will come, confidence in one's abilities. This is one way to start.
And then the road of development is open before you. and it will take you where you want to go.

• Like 2