Wooo Lad

It helps. You didnt have it bagged? Definitely a death sentence for red oak. Something you might want to try is drop the piece in a bucket of water for a while and see if the cracks close. If they do blow out the water and wick some glue into it and see if it holds when you dry it in a bag.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, Gary Beasley said:

It helps. You didnt have it bagged? Definitely a death sentence for red oak. Something you might want to try is drop the piece in a bucket of water for a while and see if the cracks close. If they do blow out the water and wick some glue into it and see if it holds when you dry it in a bag.

It’s white oak. And no I didn’t bag it because it was a legit practice piece and I wanted to see how bad it would crack and all that stuff for my knowledge going forward. It came from a fallen branch in my back yard after a small ice storm so I wasn’t too disappointed or anything with it cracking. It also helps it was the first piece I turned and was completely expecting it go haywire. All in all a win for me. 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 8:23 PM, JohnG said:

If you don’t want to bag it or otherwise manage the moisture content, take it down to final thickness. It’ll go out of round but that will give it a chance to not crack.

It’s not that I don’t want to bag it or keep it from cracking. I’ve recently bought some wax sealant and a plethora of brown paper sacks. This piece was more of just getting to know how every thing reacts and testing out my tools on green lumber vs dried pieces. All in all an experiment piece. 

• Like 1