Stanley Block Plane

Chestnut

My Stanley block plane recently had another gravity lesson. It took a tumble from work bench height onto my garages concrete floor and the adjustment screw/lever got bent. I've tried to find the replacement parts from multiple places but it appears that Stanley has discontinued the parts. Maybe I'm clumsy and need to change or maybe this plane is unlucky but this is the 3rd time that I've had to replace this part.

Does any one know of Stanley parts replacement? I need part 12-160 hardware kit. I've searched extensively on the internet and ebay and had no luck.

Should i bother trying to get replacement parts for a tool that has probably been discontinued? If any thing else breaks would I be able to fix that?

Are there other resources for replacement parts for Stanley tools?

Or should i just self it and buy a LV or LN block plane? If this is the case what the heck do i buy? I currently have a LN no. 101 and I love it. I also have a LN no. 140 skew left, which is a great plane. I typically use my block planes for more utility type work, like flushing dove tails or box joints. I don't use them that often for finishing tasks.

I've had my eye on a scraper plane for a while. Part of me is wondering if I should just lean on the plans i have and send the block plan to pasture and get the scraper plane I want.

Even if you can find the replacement parts, the old planes have different threads than newer ones.  One of mine suffered the same fate years ago. That was when they sold replacement parts, but the part that came had a metric thread.  I was able to rethread the hole in the plane body, but was wishing I didn't have to do that.  The one that needed the replacement was a Cordovan colored one I bought new in the 1970's.  I used it yesterday.

If yours is a newer model, the adjustment knob has a rounded outer shape, rather than the more squared corners on the round knob that the old ones did.

You may be able to find replacement parts on ebay from people that part out planes.  Mine needed the replacement before there was such a thing as ebay.

33 minutes ago, Tom King said:

You may be able to find replacement parts on ebay from people that part out planes.  Mine needed the replacement before there was such a thing as ebay.

I did search pretty extensively but was unable to find anything. This is one of those Norris style adjusters that has 2 different threads on the screw. I have reached out to Lee Valley to see if I can get some dimensions from their norris adjusters and maybe buy one from them.

17 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Stanley block planes are fairly inexpensive on Ebay, Why not pick one up, then you'll have any parts you may need for it in the future?

it's $90-$100, if I'm going to shell out that much cash for parts I'll just go a different route. Even if i can find parts if they are over $25 I'm considering going a different direction as I don't really like this plane all that much. I suppose i could just try selling mine for parts.

This is the plane i have for reference. It's not one of the cheap contractor grade block planes.

Imageresizer-6-scaled.thumb.jpg.a488e4498f14f51433022713a4c36ae8.jpg

Looking at the picture you posted, the mechanism looks real similar to LN block planes and I know they used Stanley for a starting point in a lot of their designs.  Any chance their parts will work on your plane.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:36 AM, Chestnut said:

Or should i just self it and buy a LV or LN block plane? If this is the case what the heck do i buy?

The LN 60 1/2 Adjustable mouth block plane. I have one and I love it.

Just for the record, a couple of years ago I lost control of my LN #3 which ended up on the floor with a broken knob and a twisted brass screw. They sent me the replacement parts for free.

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

Looking at the picture you posted, the mechanism looks real similar to LN block planes and I know they used Stanley for a starting point in a lot of their designs.  Any chance their parts will work on your plane.

I reached out to their customer service via email. I have not had a response yet.

Just now, Immortan D said:

Just for the record, a couple of years ago I lost control of my LN #3 which ended up on the floor with a broken knob and a twisted brass screw. They sent me the replacement parts for free.

I've heard that a few times, it's so tempting to just buy everything from LN because their customer service is at a level that is hard to match. Even though i have the no. 101 It's tempting to snag the no. 102 as well as i use the small 101 all the  dang time. The larger bodied block planes are near the size of my no. 3 which i like to use a lot more....