Wood storage

Woodworking_Hobby

I have just a quick question about wood storage. In general is it ok to leave rough lumber in an unconditioned space but out if the elements (like a shed or enclosed barn) and then just give it some time to acclimate to the humidity and temperature of your shop when you are ready to start working?  I am having to rearrange my shop space and not sure if I am going to be able to store much rough materials outside of what I am working with on my current project. 

Most of my Kiln dried lumber is dead stacked in a shed that is not conditioned. Once it's kiln dried there isn't much point to sticker. All it does is take up shelf space.

A good portion of my air dried lumber is stacked and stickered and stored outside with only a cover over the top.

I usually bring material in 2-3 weeks before I expect to use it. That depends on the humidity and MC of the wood. Often it works out that the Shed EMC is the same as the house. Winter is really the only time i have to acclimate wood.

• Like 1