Grizzly's new 12" Jointer/Planer

Botch

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-12-combo-planer-jointer/g0959

I saw a rumor about this thing a few months back, but nothing on Grizzly's website.  Checked again tonight and its there now, brand-new (they've had an 8" version out for awhile).  120 V, about 100 lbs (so I can get it in my basement), under $1,000 and it includes a helical cutterhead!  That's a great price for getting a helical head included.  I'm thinking very hard about this.

When I left active duty in 1995 I got a chunk of change that let me put down 20% on my house, and get both a bandsaw and another jointer/planer, the Inca (Swiss made, sold by Garrett Wade, 10.5" cut) for the eyewatering price of $2,700.  It worked beautifully, and for that price it was supposed to be a lifetime tool (it was also compact, my shop is pretty small).  Then one day it started making a bad popping noise, I stopped it and took it apart, and a very odd-shaped nylon gear had stripped because the belts holding it tight to another steel gear had stretched.  After much digging I learned Inca was out of business, found some replacement belts but no gear.  Pretty expensive paperweight now.

So this Grizzly has me interested.  Its so new I've only seen one review on it (that person was very happy) but I need to save up a few nickels in the meantime anyway.  

Griz.jpg

All that for under $1000 feels too good to be true. I was looking pretty hard for awhile at the 10" straight-blade Jet combo which is around $850, and still has pretty mixed reviews. This looks like it's a very similar tool design (probably the same OEM) but they took off the stand, swapped in cheaper molded tables instead of machined, but included a helical head and made it wider.

Seems like a product tailor made for your needs... But I'd be very wary about the longevity (and maybe accuracy?). Do you still have the Inca? These days you could probably find someone to 3d print a custom replacement gear for you.

• Like 1

Looking at the specifications I'm more impressed than I thought I would be.  The motor draws 15 amps and there are 28 cutters in two rows, so it sounds like it could perform.  Max depth of cut is 1/16", which may seem shallow, but that's on a 12" wide board.  The infeed/outfeed tables are naturally shorter on a table top machine and might need a work around from time to time.  It's not going to put Hammer out of business, but if the tables are flat and can be adjusted reliably, then I think Grizzly may have something.

Yeah, the tables are short (and probably aluminum) but they are on my Inca too, and I had no problem jointing/planing 4" maple with it when I built my workbench.  I had built and positioned my drill press stand/table to double as an outfeed table for the JP, but never felt the need to actually use it.

I would love to have the Hammer, but its just too big for my location.  

16 minutes ago, Botch said:

I would love to have the Hammer, but its just too big for my location.  

Not to mention cramming it into the budget :D.

Grizzly has showrooms in Washington and Missouri if either is near you or future travels.  Or a reliable friend with a camera.

It's common for these tool companies to offer 1-year warranties. It would be really expensive if I had to have a guy come out to service the machine after a few years.  Depending how expensive the machine is, chances are it would be cheaper just to buy another one.  

I can't remember buying something with a 1-year warranty and having it last several years.

There are all kinds of groups for your Inca.  Inca.groups.io is probably the best.  In addition to sources for parts (always check with Jesse at Eagle Tools in LA), there are discussions re: removing the belt set up and replacing the drive with a separate motor.  You can also buy a Byrd head.  You can get that Inca running again, and have a much better machine than the Grizzly... 

• Like 1