Ideas for cabinet for air compressor and planer

Meatwad

I've got these 2 tools and I am thinking of stacking them into the same rolling cabinet/frame with the planer on top and air compressor on bottom. I definitely want my planer at arm level  so that is the main reason for this, but having the air compressor in the same cabinet is just a bonus to save space. The best idea I could think of is just a simple frame of construction pine joined with dowels or screws which would make it about 21 inches wide by 22 inches deep. I thought for sure there would be some other opinions so I'm asking here.

tools.jpg

I've found a couple short (4-6") 45* braces on a classic 2x4 stand makes it rock solid without closing the sides. Wouldn't lose any usable height either for that little compressor. I have my planer on an old plywood flip-top (which no longer flips) and I added corner bracing to get it up to match its 2x4 cousin.

BTW I have that same compressor and absolutely love it.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:51 PM, BonPacific said:

I've found a couple short (4-6") 45* braces on a classic 2x4 stand makes it rock solid without closing the sides. Wouldn't lose any usable height either for that little compressor. I have my planer on an old plywood flip-top (which no longer flips) and I added corner bracing to get it up to match its 2x4 cousin.

BTW I have that same compressor and absolutely love it.

Can you take a pic of your 2x4 stand so I can see what you mean? I just got this air compressor, too and then I realized the power switch is on the side so I can't enclose it completely.

You need reasonable air flow around the compressor to dissipate heat.  So i wouldn't fully enclose it.  I like the 90* orientation wtnhighlander suggested.  It will also help to keep the air hose out of conflict with the planner.  Consider, too, how you will access the drain valve.  I set my pancake on a square of rubber mat and this dampened vibration a little, but mine sits on the concrete floor.  Might not do much on a wooden base.