Quiet, smooth Lazy Susan

Ronn W

That last Last Susan that I made looks great but the turn table mechanism that I bought at Wood craft is noisy and sounds cheap.  Doe anyone have a recommendation for a mechanism that is smooth and quiet.  This is about a Lazy Susan that would sit on a table and not one that is used inside a cabinet.

Thanks.

@Ronn W, I can't say that I've ever seen a truly quiet lazy suzan bearing. They are usually ball bearings in a stamped metal race, and barely lubricated. If you can deal with a little thickness to the platform, I would consider using a pivot pin and some small urathane wheels, like these: 

https://exodusrideshop.com/products/abstract-105a-extra-mini-conical-urethane-fingerboard-wheels-white

I made several lazy Suzan's for Christmas gifts 2 X-mas's ago the  mechanisms I bought from Rockler they were slow gummed up and noisy I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on the bearings worked it into then used my compressor to blow the gunk out I did that a couple times and then sprayed silicon lube on the bearings wiped the mechanism getting all the shmutz off. And then they worked great moved freely and way quieter after putting the base and turntable on it spun like a top, the lazy suzan mechanisms were the cheap ones. https://www.rockler.com/low-profile-lazy-susans?country=US&sid=V91041&promo=shopping&tid=pla&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(NX)_Shopping_-_Margin_A&msclkid=5384612403eb190efede02cf41cfe427&utm_term=4584757336472596&utm_content=Margin A I used the 6" ones

• 10 months later...

Since the vast majority of modest priced lazy susans are made of stamped steel sheet, and loaded up with a huge number of steel bearings, I've recently found out the perfect solution....for me.

Purchased mine from an on-line woodworking outfit [nationally known], and it's always been noisy. Recently decided to make a high quality LS from 16" dia. Cherry wood, that's about 3/4"+ thick. After several [actually 3] tries at trying to reduce the noise via silicone spray, lithium dry spray, and a WD-40 brand of dry lub w/PTFE...they all failed miserably. Why? might you ask. Simply put, the spray film is so thin, that the sound of the balls ratteling around cannot be muted.

Decided on a different approach: Mute the sound with grease. Yeah, it will turn far slower, but it's quite as a mouse, and since it's just used for serving cheese [no need to break sound barriers]..it worked like a charm. 

I have a grease gun, so the only tool that I needed was a 4" long needle [min. for the job was 2-1/4"] nose adapter on Ebay for under 10 buck! Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the brand name, but if you're interested, just drop me a line. Oh, and one other note: the needle dia is just .25" which happed to be my max usable gap between the two sheet metal parts of the LS. Disclaimer: I'm not representing any brand, or entity on eBay. Oh, and before I forget, that lengh of the needle portion is 4" and the whole assemsbly is about 6" in length, and it attaches to a conventional grease gun.

• Like 1