Need Help Finding Replacement

Robby W

For most of my life, I have used Johnson Paste Wax to protect and lubricate the cast iron surfaces of my power tools. When we moved, the moving company wouldn't let me take opened containers of anything with us, so I lost my can of paste wax. Today, I went to the hardware store to get some more, but couldn't find any. Apparently, Johnson's has stopped making it. I bought a can of Minwax paste wax thinking it would work. Nope. It doesn't have the slippery surface that the Johnson's did. The Minwax provided a surface that would grab, then slip, then grab, etc. During one of the grab-slip routines, I lost control of a thick piece I was sawing on my bandsaw and the top of my finger contacted the blade. No serious damage, but it took 6 stitches to close the cut. A 3 TPI blade really removes meat in a hurry!

Anyway, I am looking for a replacement to the Johnson's. Something slippery that doesn't affect the wood being machined. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I would look into other paste wax products made for floors, like this one: https://www.beaumontproducts.com/Category/Trewax-Paste-Wax/

Minwax Paste Finishing Wax is intended for furniture, and does produce a different surface texture than Johnson's, for sure.

This description of the ingredients might help find a close match.

https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-paste-wax

• Like 1