what double sided melamine blade do you use?

I have my first job coming up since i started my woodworking business and of course my first job is a closet in a tiny home. I have a double sided melamine blade from frued full kerf but im not impressed by it at all. It chips on both sides no matter how tall or lower the blade or how slow or fast i push the melamine through. Also i dont think it cuts very well as in i have to push more than normal when i cut sheet goods. The blade is new and the first couple cuts were great but then all of a sudden i get horrible burning. My guess is the blade is deflecting horribly after it gets a little warm. Because always the first couple cuts are good and then it gets bad with the burning and chipping. I've cleaned the blade 2 times already and ive only cut 4 sheets of melamine on it. Before i start this job i would like to get a better blade. Any recommendations? Oh and i have a 3hp sawstop

On 5/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, BillyJack said:

I'll give that a try.  All my blades are the amana blue blades. I wonder what the difference is

I try to buy blades specific to the  task. If I want to trim, I use a trim blade. If I want Blade for the RAS, I buy one designed for the RAS. I try to stay with one brand of blade and not bounce around like a pinball machine on brands. If I need something I will use and abuse, I’ll jump ship and buy a Freud or yellow cheap bit from EBay. 

You can only guarantee two sides if you have a scoring blade. For years we used the Amana melamine blade and still took the shelves to a router made jointer to clean it up before it went to the edge banded.

We use a lot of tricks to use melamine. Gotta be a bit smart to work with laminate and melamine for a living.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, BillyJack said:

Purchased the the blue version and it cuts so much better than the frued. The bottom is ok, I dont have a zero clearance though. Thanks for the suggestion 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:24 AM, Mark J said:

Would it help to take a very shallow first pass (1/16") with a "regular" saw, then follow with a full thickness cut?  I seem to remember hearing about that techique somewhere.   It sorta simulates a scoring blade.  

Yes Mark, that does help, along with a tall blade height on the second cut. I built an entire craft room for my wife, with wall to wall bookcases, shelves, and cabinets...all with a Freud laminate blade. White 3/4" Melamine. The cuts turned out perfect, and I didn't get wore out.

• Like 1