Popular Post gee-dub Posted May 24 Popular Post Report Share Posted May 24 Disclaimer - - - This is a version one and we did the whole thing on the fly. I have been watching finish cure for a couple of days. My friend is down from the high desert and we always manage to get into trouble when we are bored. My small bandsaw was screeching at me so the first order of business was to swap the guide bearings and the bearings for the top wheel. Then we decided to upgrade the dust collection which has always been inadequate when using the factory port. We decided to modify an old shop vac end. I used a brass setup bar to level the piece for bansawing and promptly bandsawed right through the setup bar . . . OK, good. Things are starting out well. This looks promising. We plotted and cut the vac end piece some more, fiberglassed it into its new form and pushed forward. Next we needed a method of attachment. Magnets are always a favorite. A hose clamp serves to hold the fixture to the magnet block and thereby to the saw for testing. At any rate we ended up here. The vac connects to a Rockler fitting just as it used to. We added a wye fitting that splits to the factory port and to our modified vac doo-whopper. The doo-whopper positions a 3/4" x 2-1/4" suction port very close to the upper blade guides. Previous testing ad-nauseam revealed this to be the optimum combination. The spacing allows for up to a 1/2" blade which is the max I run on this saw. Collection improvement is at an order of magnitude; super good . 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.