Clutter, clutter, clutter

BillyJack

I stopped making cabinet in around 2009 when I went into furniture. Now I w@nt to cut my grand daughters storage cabinet and will gave to move so much just to clear 65” on the  left side just to crosscut. Wher some woodworkers want more, I just want less..:(

• Like 2

Not really organizing that’s my problem, it’s all the lumber.My projects haven’t been big and spring projects use more plywood, etc. 

The reason I don’t invest anymore in the shop.Nothing is needed.

Ive considered getting rid of the combo sander and getting an oscillating sander. Only thing I’ve considered..

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 5:09 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I'm with you on the 'more needs to be less' concept. In a small space like mine, have a tool or jig specific to every little situation just isn't sustainable.

This is how I end up with version two’s of some jigs. I have a few one-trick-ponies but for the most part I try to make things serve multiple purposes.

• Like 1

Only jigs I try and save are for the poker tables. Etc. Even when I made drawer jigs 15 years ago, after time they weren’t accurate anymore. If I kept every temporary jig I ever made, I’d need a 18 wheeler to store them..

Tools and lumber yes… everything else is in question..

My advice is PURGE!

Being a bit of a hoarder myself I know this is very very hard to do. I recently moved into a new shop, having to move everything 500 miles made choosing what was worth keeping a bit easier. I still had to approach it in waves, each weekend chipping away at it. The sheer amount of work involved in just getting rid of the stuff I didn't want to move really got me thinking. I'm happy didn't leave the mess for my kids to deal with when I no longer can.
The value you mentioned on the bar trim for example. It may retail for that you may even be able to find a buyer to take it off your hands. But if you don't see yourself using it anytime soon its a liability. If you leave it for someone else to deal with the odds are it will end up in a dumpster.   What is your time worth? Whats your shop space worth?  

Me? I'm retired my time is mine and my shop space is priceless!
  • Like 2

Daughter came over to work on her end tables for her bedroom suite. I call today to get a second trash can then I can really get into cleaning.

Called this morning. Trash can is $52 per year, but it will get used for the shop.It will be nice to have a dedicated trash can for DC waste and scraps. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 10:24 PM, Tom King said:

I know the feeling.   For the past month or so, I start my day by spending a little bit of time organizing something, fixing something, and throwing something away, doing all three steps before going on to doing some job around here that needs to be done.  It's just now starting to show results.

this is exactly what I need to do........................................I am my own worst enemy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1