Plywood at Menards

BillyJack

On 8/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, pkinneb said:

I'd try a sheet before you pick up a bunch. The last cabinet grade plywood I purchased from Menards delaminated the minute I started cutting it with my track saw both sheets went back.

Already have.. Reason I’m mentioning it..

• Like 2

I’ve bought the China birch  from Home Depot in a pinch on a weekend trying to complete a cabinet  job and it isn’t very good, especially  the orange glue they use..

As far as the Menards product, top, bottom or partition shelves with its light weight isn’t too bad.

it dropped $4 a sheet and thinking about buy many more. If it’s still around for my cabinets, I will probably use it..

Menards here carries 2 plywood makers. Terraplay which i personally feel is garbage and is maybe what you got @pkinneb. Terraply is chineese import and uses some unidentifiable wood for the veneer and core. When i stained oak project their "oak" veneer was some tropical look alike and did not match North American red oak at all.. SDS

They also carry Timber Products Company which is a USA made panel and I've had good luck with. It's a bit more expensive but worth it imo. I've seen hardwood dealers sell timber products company panels so i know the company can make a good panel. SDS

I put links to the tech spects for the 1/2" panel i use a lot as well as the SDS to panels from each company. It should be noted the cheap chinease stuff uses urea formaldehyde resin for the glue which is not carb compliant and may be more likely to cause respiratory issues.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 7:40 AM, Chestnut said:

Menards here carries 2 plywood makers. Terraplay which i personally feel is garbage and is maybe what you got @pkinneb. Terraply is chineese import and uses some unidentifiable wood for the veneer and core. When i stained oak project their "oak" veneer was some tropical look alike and did not match North American red oak at all.. SDS

They also carry Timber Products Company which is a USA made panel and I've had good luck with. It's a bit more expensive but worth it imo. I've seen hardwood dealers sell timber products company panels so i know the company can make a good panel. SDS

I put links to the tech spects for the 1/2" panel i use a lot as well as the SDS to panels from each company. It should be noted the cheap chinease stuff uses urea formaldehyde resin for the glue which is not carb compliant and may be more likely to cause respiratory issues.

Good to know and its very possible that's what I experienced.

The problem I have seen is the thin birch veneer.Too thin  for any customers projects, but fine for the shop.

Years ago HD offered a “shop grade” for $24 a sheet. I think I bought 10 sheets for poker tables. They stopped selling it. It was a great product..