Dust Collection Improvements

Woodworking_Hobby

I know there are a lot of preferences built into dust collection but I was looking for any thoughts or suggestions. 

Currently I have a Rockler Dust Right with 1 micron canister mounted on the wall and added the Oneida Dust Deputy cyclone upstream to drop out as much as I can into a plastic drum prior to it all getting into the bag of the dust collector.  I just have a 4-inch flex hose that I move around to each tool as I am was in a pretty small area.  I only run one tool at a time (table saw / jointer / planer / bandsaw) so it does not need to pull from multiple tools at the same time.  

Recently my shop has relocated and I am in a little larger space.  It is about 20 feet from one end of the shop to the other end and I was considering moving my dust collector into the room outside of my shop (still inside but in a different space).  I was considering running a hard pipe from the new location along one wall of the shop and then just using a shorter flex hose to get from a blast gate to one of the tools.  Maybe once everything is installed there would be 40 to 50 feet of pipe from the dust collector to the tool.  Are there some units that can still get down to 1 micron and have decent suction from this far away? I don't want/need to drop a bunch of money for this change and if I can find something decent I would rather spend the extra money on a ceiling mounted air cleaner in addition.   I guess my only logic for moving the unit is to get the noise out of the shop, save some wall space in the shop, and put the air outlet in another space.  To me dust collection is a multi-prong approach and the collect really cuts down on the large volume of waste that is generated.  I will still wear my respirator when I am using these tools and I am also considering getting one of those ceiling mounted units to help pull the air borne dust out of the air.  

I was looking at Oneida but they are pretty expensive for the unit that states you can use 100 feet of hose.  I was looking around at the Laguna C|Flux-1 type model but cannot find any information on if it will work at this distance.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! 

Its good to be back into the forum as I had to take some time off from my woodworking and starting to get back to enjoying my time in the shop! 

• Like 2

The SuperCell is definitely NOT cheap, but has an advantage over most collectors in this market space. It uses an impeller system that provides as much flow volume as most 4" to 5" ducts require,but also maintains high static pressure that helps with the smaller 2" systems. It also has a reverse-air filter cleaning feature, that I assume is very important to use frequently, given the relatively small filter size.  At this point in my woodworking hobby, I can't justify the expense, but should fortune ever shine my way towards a shop upgrade with a few more square feet and electrical circuits, the SuperCell is the top of my list of new 'toys'.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Are there some units that can still get down to 1 micron and have decent suction from this far away? I don't want/need to drop a bunch of money for this change and if I can find something decent I would rather spend the extra money on a ceiling mounted air cleaner in addition. 

You don't mention where you live, but is exhausting outside possible? I did that with my old HF unit and have never looked back, though I have since upgraded to an old JET 3hp blower which is also exhausted outside (with a cyclone to collect the visible dust). Not having to fight a filter, even a large one, makes any DC stronger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

You don't mention where you live, but is exhausting outside possible? I did that with my old HF unit and have never looked back, though I have since upgraded to an old JET 3hp blower which is also exhausted outside (with a cyclone to collect the visible dust). Not having to fight a filter, even a large one, makes any DC stronger.

Did you mount your DC outside or did you just route the discharge to the outside?  I do not have a place that I can install it outside and not be exposed to the weather, but I could route the discharge outside I am just not exactly sure how I could modify the DC to direct discharge in stead of the 1 micro filter to the bag.  

On 10/31/2023 at 10:41 AM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Did you mount your DC outside or did you just route the discharge to the outside?  I do not have a place that I can install it outside and not be exposed to the weather, but I could route the discharge outside I am just not exactly sure how I could modify the DC to direct discharge in stead of the 1 micro filter to the bag.  

Route the discharge outside. I have just used a metal dryer vent through the wall attached by hose/pipe to the outlet of a cyclone where it would normally route into a filter/bag. On something like your Dust Right you could mount directly to the outlet the filter bag hangs from, though I would recommend using a cyclone just to avoid coating your or your neighbor's rose bushes in sawdust.

• Like 2

Bit late but there is a lot of good advice here. My addition is hard pipe as much as you can and if you want to have multiple ports use good blast gates. The self sealing ones from lee valley are pretty good imo. I can't remember the exact conversion but 5 feet of hard pipe creates the same resistance as 1 foot of flex. Also make sure all bends are long and sweeping that includes flex hose bends. 1 hard 90 turn can create as much resistance as almost 20 feet of strait pipe.

• Like 1