Layout for Using Dominos to Attach Tops with Tenons

I would like to make some speaker stands like those below. I would like the column to be hollow to run speaker wire down to the base and out to the receiver. My plan is to just domino the column together to create what's basically a long box. I know I could just screw the base and top on, but that would be too easy, so I want to attach them with dominos. Aside from measuring very carefully, are there any tricks for laying out mortises for attaching bases and tops with dominos? Mortising the column is easy enough, but it is less clear how to best transfer the mortise locations to the top/base to properly align them. It seems like the issue is similar to using tenons to attach a chair seat to the legs, but I've never made a chair, so that isn't much help. 

Picture

• Like 1

Mark the center point for the domino on the ends of the box, the tap a small finish nail int the mark. Snip it off about 1/8" above the surface, and it becomes the 'dowel center' to mark the overhanging top & bottom pieces.

Drill and appropriate pilot hole to make the cut off nail easy to extract.

• Like 2

I use @gee-dub method as well. As you can see, all of his dominos are not aligned with the outer edge of the bottom piece. Here’s a simple video to demonstrate. There are others out there as well.

Well, I just thought I could copy and paste the intended video. Don’t know if it’s me or the fact that it is a YouTube video. Search case work using the Domino on you tube. 

• Like 1