Need to spray one kitchen cabinet, but it must be perfect. Crappy HVLP gun + Compressor vs. Lowest powered Fuji/turbine sprayer?

Dolmetscher007

I am a weekend warrior amateur woodworker. 99.999% of the finishes I use are all wipe on such as Wipe on Poly, Waterlox, or some Rubio-style hard wax finish. However, I now need to build my own kitchen cabinets for a DIY kitchen renovation I've got going on. I want to achieve the highest quality pro finish possible, so I know that I want to spray the cabinets, instead of trying to brush it on. I will be using General Finishes "Milk Paint," which is not actually a "milk paint" but just a super flat/matte sheen water-based paint.  It's not very viscus at all. I am extremely tight on budget for this project, so I don't know if the HVLP system that I already own will work... or if I have no choice but to purchase a new HVLP sprayer. (God I hope not) 

I have a 6-gallon Bostitch compressor (BTFP02012) that I use for shooting brad nails. This little pancake model can only muster a CFM or 3.7 @ 40 psi and 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI. So it's not ideal for an HVLP gun. I also own this NEIKO 31215A el cheapo HVLP spray gun with a 1.7mm nozzle.  The documentation for the spray gun says that its operating pressure is 40 PSI; Working pressure is 10 PSI; Average air consumption is 4.5 CFM.

I know precisely nothing about HVLP or spraying finishes out of anything other than a spray can. It appears to me that my compressor does not put out enough CFM at 40 psi (only 3.7) where the gun requires 4.5 CFM. I don't know if this means that it just won't work... or if it won't work well... or what will happen if I try to use it as an HVLP system to spray one set of kitchen cabinets. I have tried to use a very cheap Wagner paint sprayer... but it just spatters and sputters too much... makes a mess that you need to brush over... which cancels the point of using a sprayer IHO. I know that Fuji sprayers are great... but they range in price from $500 - $1,800. I would ONLY be able to "afford" the cheapest $500 model

So my question is... seeing as I am not a pro, and I'll never need a sprayer again... is there some way to make my crappy HVLP gun + crappy compressor work better than a crappy Wagner sprayer? And... is the cheapest Fuji Semi-Pro 2 sprayer "pro" enough for painting cabinets without spatter? Any help or tips would be amazing!

On 4/25/2024 at 10:55 AM, Dolmetscher007 said:

And... is the cheapest Fuji Semi-Pro 2 sprayer "pro" enough for painting cabinets without spatter?

I honestly don't think you are going to get good results with the equipment you have.  I have used the Fuji Semi-Pro 2 for all my spray finish needs, which are all water borne finishes.  I have had mine for eight years now.

If you really don't want to keep the Fuji, you can always complete your project and then sell it to recover some of your costs.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, Chet said:

I have used the Fuji Semi-Pro 2 for all my spray finish needs, which are all water borne finishes.  I have had mine for eight years now.

This is excellent information. You are able to get smooth even results using the Fuji Semi-Pro 2? That is really all I SHOULD have asked in my original question. The problem is... Fuji has like 10 different options, several of which look almost identical... i.e. Hobby-Pro 2 and Semi-Pro 2, and all the Mity 2, 3, 4, 5... etc. I know that the more turbine stages you have... the thicker (more viscus) the paint can be. 

I originally wanted to use Benjamin Moore's "Advance" Water-based Alkyd paint. But that stuff seems like the consistency of Titebond wood glue. I just assumed I'd have to buy the big Quantium 5 Fuji sprayer if I wanted to spray that stuff. So I began looking for other paints. Do you know if your Semi-Pro 2 can spray pretty much any of these super thick paints, or do you try to stick with the less-viscous more-coats approach?

I agree with Chet! FWIW I have the same Fuji Semi Pro 2 unit for about the same amount of time :) 

Re thick paint I would say yes sort of...I used mine to spray the trim/doors/windows in my basement but a bigger unit would have worked better. I just had to thin the water based paint I used. If I was doing a whole basement again I would get a bigger unit for one cabinet I think you will be fine.

P439.JPG.1fed08381455d425a31e2a8706e0fb2b.JPG

P449.JPG.441d764787b6dd4bba1f0a221e3fb6cd.JPG

P450.JPG.4cbb4b4c5f190a1a6c868583afd98193.JPG

I don't kniw what GF product you are using, but every can of their 'Milk paint' I ever opened was darn near DQ 'Blizzard' consistency.  I can't imagine spraying it. However, a foam brush gives me a very smooth finish, as the stuff self-levels quite well. But....I always seem to need 3 coats to get non-translucent coverage.

I have the Fuji MiniMite 3 and tried spraying latex paint and the results looked like a Picasso painting. I don’t know if I used the wrong tip but it was probably user error. I looked and you can rent compressors and sprayers from Home Depot. No experience on the quality but hopefully an employee with more than 3 weeks experience can help. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Go to Target Coatings and looking into their pigmented water based lacquer I think you would be really happy with the results.  They also have great customer service to answer all of your questions.  The time I called I ended up talking to the owner.  I use their conversion varnish.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/water-based-pigmented-lacquers/

• Like 2