The Shoulda-Got-It-Sooner Thread

outofstepper

Two luxury buys I wish I would have gotten sooner:

1. Veritas Scrub plane. I've always heard (read) not to spend the big bucks on

a scrub, that anything would do. In fact, I've been making due with a modified

jack plane. Got some chatter -- but on a scrub, who cared? I do a lot of my projects

with VERY rough lumber. Every see the cartoons where they turn a tree into a toothpick?

That's me.

The Veritas scrub feels so solid, no nonsense, I'm hogging some wood and no one is

stopping me. Maybe its new-toy psychology, but I don't regret one cent. Love the narrow

sole.

2. Duo Sharp diamond stone. I'm mostly a belt sander and water stones kinda guy, with an

oil stone or two for the axes.. but boy does this coarse stone cut fast! This was a tougher

buy as I've had some bad experiences with the longevity of "diamond" stones I've bought

in the past. Lets hope it holds up.

How about the rest of you? Anything you wish you would've bought sooner?

-Tony

For me it was more light. I added 3 - 4ft T8 fixtures near my bench. Not quite a neander purchase, but it's so much easier working on projects when you can easily see your line. My sawing definitely got better overnight - so much that I now want to buy a nice dovetail saw. (Maybe that will replace lighting on this list :) )

A good workbench for me. The first I build self destructed (didn't know what I was doing then) and the one I have now is just okay but I got it before I took any woodworking classes. Now I am plotting a way to get my third, better, really good workbench.

I will chime in with lighting. I never knew how little light I had, until I redid my whole lighting setup.

+1; I remember the first time I tinkered in the shop after adding a number of lights. I've since doubled those lights.

I had a decent marking knife, but now have a much nicer one mostly because the blade is 2 1/4" long. 1 1/2" longer than my previous knife.

Shapton stones are so much nicer to spritz with water and sharpen vs soaking waterstones and the mess associated with it. Ponds are for ducks. tongue.gif

I'm going to say I remember way back when I bought my second router.... Holy cow, that made my life so much easier with one in the table and one in a drawer. Even being a Normite I had trouble justifying a second router of about the same specs as the one I already owned. ... but once I got it, I couldn't figure out how I got by with just one.

On a similar note, when I built my shop it was a huge upgrade. I remember running an extension cord out of my garage around to an outside outlet so I could run the dust collector and the table saw at the same time withou the lights dimming. Then I built my shop with 100 extra amps on 5 different circuits, plus 3 220 circuits and lighting on seperate a circuit. Suddenly it seemed wordworking was so much easier.

Maybe that isn't where you were going with this, but those were the two things I remember thinking "how did I do this before?"

For me it would be my Wenzloff and Sons dovetail saw kit. I ordered the saw plate, brass back and saw nuts; after some time making the handle and polishing the brass I assembled it-wow what a difference.

I also just bought a 12" Starret, after all the other squares I have bought over the years I should have just did it right away-all those replacement costs, shipping costs, and most of all sanity could have been spared!

b-e-s-fib-fml-flexible-light-with-magnetic-pick-up~8968783.jpg

This flex-neck magnetic pick up tool is something I probably walked by hundreds of times at the tool store without even giving it a thought. My brother bought it for me and it's been really useful. The flex neck lets it snake through flex hose to retrieve the table saw's arbor nut (not that I ever drop it - yeah, right!).

A good marking knife. I couldn't understand why I should have to pay $50 for a quality marking knife when an Exacto or cheapo Crown Tools knife would work just as well. Well, thanks to Blue Spruce my dovetails look remarkably better. Who knew?

For me it was my first decent chisels. These were definitely my gateway hand tool that taught me that there we some things easier/possible with them.

Definately +1!

I purchased a set of harbor Freight 3pack specials, intending to knock around with them. (I figured the cheap chisel might last long enough to start muscle memory and figure out whether or not I needed the better stuff. I bought one Marples, just one, and immediately realized the quality difference. And this just verified that you get what you pay for. And $5 does not a good chisel make, let alone three chisels. I don't have far to go to regrind them into a screwdriver, either.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second the starrett combo square, I even paid a little extra for the hardened head for when I'm working in metal. But I'd have to say the 5 wooden handscrew clamps that I have are gold. They've held an axe handle I made and a new handle (tote) for my MF#5 when i was shaping them. They make dovetailing and the day to day edge planeing ,rip sawing, webcam holding all really easy. Make sure to buy a giant handscrew and a baby sized one so "all else" doesn't fail.

I really wish I'd bought ANY of my Lie-Nielsen or Veritas planes sooner but I'll give the credit to the one tool that started me down this slippery slope: the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 low angle block plane. It taught me what a real high quality tool could do and I haven't looked back since.

I could've used the year or so I messed around with low quality planes to build more stuff if I'd bought LN or Veritas sooner.

Great thread.