box i made for dad

duckkisser

i picked out this blue pine because the grain is dark and i thought it would looks good with a little cherry i have. the handle is the main folcus since it is curved and has cherry pieces cut and glued into it to match the cherry stripes on the lid. again i was trying to match the cherry with the wood grain. let me know what you think........will there be problems with the solid wood top from expanding and poping the miters?

*******************hit save at bottom right hand corner to view normal ill correct size problem in future*********************

post-4738-0-83752000-1309034696_thumb.jp

post-4738-0-81801600-1309034759_thumb.jp

Duck, can you resize those? They're huge and hard to see. I use GIMP to resize and use 1000 x ### as the largest size. It seems to work well within this particular forum. Others can probably explain it better than me. I know how to do it on GIMP, but it's the only one I know how to use. I DO know there are others. GIMP is freeware, btw.

Duck, can you resize those? They're huge and hard to see. I use GIMP to resize and use 1000 x ### as the largest size. It seems to work well within this particular forum. Others can probably explain it better than me. I know how to do it on GIMP, but it's the only one I know how to use. I DO know there are others. GIMP is freeware, btw.

Im viewing on my ipad so it looks normal to me but ill see what i can do.....yowsers they are big just have buy a biger computer screen :)

hit save in bottom corner to see normal till i figure out how to change my setings.

• 3 weeks later...

thats what im afraid of as well didnt learn that might be a problem till i watch one of marcs videos.....hoping that since it is small and i put lots of poly on it that it wont expand to much over the years. no latches my father has a tendency to collect stuff so i made this so he can have on the table and put all his receipts and what not in it. people tell me i need to float the lid but i dont know how to do that and have it look flush i realy like the smooth look of the top. i think in the future ill put keys on the corners so that it helps hold them in place.

thats what im afraid of as well didnt learn that might be a problem till i watch one of marcs videos.....hoping that since it is small and i put lots of poly on it that it wont expand to much over the years. no latches my father has a tendency to collect stuff so i made this so he can have on the table and put all his receipts and what not in it. people tell me i need to float the lid but i dont know how to do that and have it look flush i realy like the smooth look of the top. i think in the future ill put keys on the corners so that it helps hold them in place.

Ok. With a handle the size you have it looks inviting to carry the box. May I suggest you hinge the lid and maybe add a latch? There are plenty of architectural latches around that are concealed, just do a search online.

possibly and your right it does look like a box to pick up....possibly i will add latches but no hinges..........bad experiences with hinges so i have given up on geting them even. always messed up

Surely someone with enough experience to teach woodwork to others can fit hinges!

Surely someone with enough experience to teach woodwork to others can fit hinges!

im realy good at inventiving,recycling, space saving, organization, and being all around cheap but precision is something that i struggle with it can never be perfect enough. fews years back i purposly stoped being obsesive about the things that i make or else i would never be able to stop. so i could never get hinges to hang just right or be perfect enough so its one of those things to set aside till im comfortable enough with wood to not get obsesive.

"and dont call me shirley"

i could never get hinges to hang just right or be perfect enough so its one of those things to set aside till im comfortable enough with wood to not get obsesive.

Try using super glue to hold the hinge in place while you drill and screw it in it eliminates all the need to perfect alignment troubles placing a hinge by hand in the right place is the easy part keeping it still while you lock it in is what causes it to come out of alignment.

I saw it on Konkers second video http://www.bltww.com/2011/06/26/bltww-02-saw-vise/ I had never seen the trick before he said he saw it on one of Marc's guild build so its defo a tried and tested method.