how best to get a cabinet saw in or out of a basement woodshop

wgeils

I am just starting to enjoy woodworking as a hobby. As my projects have advanced I am seeing the need to upgrade my tablesaw from the $100 Craftsman to something better. I am concerned as to how hard it would be to get one of the lager saws in or out of my basement.

does anyone have experience getting something like a Grizzly G0656P or a Ridgid R4512 in or out of a basement by themselves?

Thanks

Wayne

Don't do it by yourself. The rigid saw you mention is a contractor style i believe. It will be removable from the stand, in fact that's probably how it is shipped, disassembled. The grizzly mentioned above is a jointer on closed stand but it appears like it will come off the stand also. My suggestion is to disassemble everything you can and carry part by part if you don't have strong help and a dolly.

I was able to cheat on my basement, I have a walkout so I used a dolly around to the back door and into the basement shop.

pull it apart and if you can install a pully system trust me a good pully can help you move a huge weight and in future you going to need to put in jointers/bandsaws/drumsander ect......plus some day you will want to take the stuff out for repairs and to replace tools with better ones.

I took all the cast iron off my cabinet saw as well as the rails and someone helped me lift it stair by stair. My 17" bandsaw I had to take the table and motor off it. The jointer was just a disaster, don't ask. Sliding it down the stairs, one guy at the top, me at the receiving end...so friggin' stupid. We and the jointer are alive and well.

I assume you are talking about moving machinery up and down a flight of stars. I second the suggestion of a block and tackle. If you can't set up a vertical shaft with a block and tackle, you can put some boards on the stairs to make a ramp and use a block and tackle on the diagonal to pull things up and lower things down the ramp.

There are hand trucks designed to move things up and down stairs. Some are designed specifically for moving appliances (refrigerators, washing machines, etc). If you think about it. movers and delivery people have been hauling big, heavy appliances up and down stairs for decades, so there have to be effective tools.

Just getting a hand truck with "stair rails" can be very helpful. I bought a friend a hand truck with pneumatic tires and stair rails as a house warming gift when he bought a big old house. He looked at me strangely, but later told me that he and his wife use it all the time, inside the house and also for gardening/landscaping.

• 4 weeks later...