Glue Brush Holder

cts1085

Marc,

I just noticed during a guild video on the drawer assembly that you had a "holder" for the glue brush. Anything special about that?

Thanks for another GREAT video with tons of tips about joinery and construction!

Tom, it's just a container with a hole in the top.

I haven't used brushes in years, I use Q-tips. I just buy a big box at Walmart for a buck or so and throw them away when done. Just a suggestion if for nothing else try them when you are doweling, they are perfect for that.

Nate

Doesn't the glue clog your ears?! :o)

I haven't used brushes in years, I use Q-tips. I just buy a big box at Walmart for a buck or so and throw them away when done. Just a suggestion if for nothing else try them when you are doweling, they are perfect for that.

Nate

Ooh Q-tips for dowel holes....I like it. I've been using toothpicks. Cheap, but I like the idea of the swab on the end.

Nate

A winner idea... brushes are a nuisance for domino holes but I'd bet a Q-tip will work wonderfully without errant bristles painting other things. Nice tip!

Lee Valley has a plastic spreader set that is quite inexpensive.

I picked up a set as cleaning the regular small brushes is a pain, although I never thought of just keeping them in water.

Thanks for the reminder. I personally use an acid brush for gluing, and have used the same brush for the last 3 years (cleaning with water after use) but I have 2 of those LV spreaders as a kit that my wife bought a while back... completely forgot about those - I should give them a try.

I think this was a Marc tip originally... I like to collect the fake cardboard and plastic "credit cards" and "membership cards" that come in junk mail. They make great glue spreaders.

I have also used the counter top color chips as spreaders, for glue, seam sealer and grain filler. They also work well with epoxies and resin fillers as you can just toss them after it hardens.

Never thought of Q-Tips... will have to steal some from the wife.

Course I have to admit I just can't bring myself to seriously lenghten the life of my brushes. I do use a little cup with water to preserve the glue brush on a particular glue-up or assembly operation that may lasta while that day, but I do throw them out after a day or two. I just can't seem to justify saving some when they cost 5.00 for 5 bags of 36 once or twice a year at HF...