Dave's Shop tour

davestanton

• 2 months later...

After a lapse in interest in the shop's progress I have had a new lease of life. I am finishing off the exterior cladding on the new section and also about to lay a timber frame over the undulating concrete slab to give me a level surface. 17mm Ply flooring should make for a nice comfortable surface to get around on as well as allow me to run a 4 inch flex hose underneath to service the new table saw.....when I get it, lol. The extra area will be approx. 600 sq feet, Total area to be 1,000 sq. feet. Very welcome. I also have the advantage of being able to back the work vehicle with trailer attached in there to park at night time, roll it out during the day or even a few weeks to give me a heap of assembly area.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I last posted so thought I would touch base. I am still renovating the rear area and slowly converting from open to enclosed. I am also levelling the concrete slab floor with a timber bearer and joist frame as well as 17mm ply flooring. Will post some photos soon.

Life as a salesman for Carbatec has proven to be a blessing for me as I learn more about tools I would never have come across. I am going the Festool route rather than everything heavy but will still purchase a table saw and a jointer. So far I have a few Festool tracks and the TS55 which is just an amazing machine. I am sticking pretty much to the layout I posted back in January.

Again I must thank Marc for giving me a forum to be able to ask for help as well as all of his amazing videos.

Instead of running flex hose under the floor, I'd recommend running rigid duct of some sort. You can convert to flex at the ends if that makes the connections easier. The rigid duct will have much less drag than the flex.

Hi Beechwood. That is my intention when I get down to that end of the shop. So far I have laid flooring and finished walls off for about 1/4 the length of the shop. Slow old process but enjoying it immensely. The idea is to get the top part of my diagram sorted out, shelving etc. to have somewhere to put stuff as I move towards the bottom of the drawing.

"Been a while since I last posted so thought I would touch base....."

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! Where have you been Dave?!?!? How is the "getting paid for using tools" job going? I've just about PMd you wondering if you're still alive. :o

Shop looking good....dust collection overhead. Versatile, more slick than flex hose, less power needed. Rat chews a hole, you never know it. I'm kind of skeerd of hidden DC stuff. If you have a leak, no way to really know or know where it has appeared.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nate. I have 16 outlets so far...more to come! I have spent all day today in the shop and am loving it. I have a couple of items arriving soon but need to wait another 7 weeks or so prior to buying some large items. Our financial year ends 30 June and if the government is still in power, they are raising the right off value of new tools for a business to $5,000. At present it is only $1,000. Above $1k you have to depreciate the tools, $5k will be much better and also stimulate the economy a bit. :D

Looking good, Dave! I just upgraded to T8's in my shop and wow, what a difference. Also put a T5 strip above the workbench...that thing may actually be TOO bright. LOL

Love your wood floors. I know you did it almost out of necessity to level things out, but they're nice to have either way. My feet are still sore this morning from standing on concrete in the shop all day yesterday. Gotta get me some mats or something.

Keep us updated as you progress!

• Like 1

A few more pics. I have decided to evict the mechanical section that was to be at the end of the shop in favour of a concentration of carpentry related items that wouldn't stain the ply floors. To this end I put my great grandfathers workbench post-5160-0-73446100-1336387250_thumb.jppost-5160-0-87347000-1336387280_thumb.jppost-5160-0-95632800-1336387301_thumb.jp

Notice I also have heating as we head towards winter in the southern hemisphere.