Dave's Shop tour

davestanton

What do you use your jointer for Tom?

I make furniture for family and friends. I estimate that 65+% of the hardwood lumber I find a the dealers is more than 7 inches wide. Rotating the board does not work because that second cut will not cut flush with the first pass. I do not like ripping wide boards down to joint when milling for a panel glue up. If I have a wide board with nice grain I do not want to loose that.

• 4 months later...

Wow, time flys by so fast. A quick update as to what is happening in my shop. I have nearly completed the drop saw and drill press station. In total it is 8 meters long, about 27 feet for you guys. I built the cabinets and ordered laminate kitchen bench to go on top. I love the finish. I am now in the process of designing the overhead cabinets and saw fence. I am going to do the same as Sean did as seen in "Sean's well equipped shop" but I am going on the right hand side of the drop saw and keeping the cabinets white. 2 units measuring 1.7 meters wide x 1.1 meters tall x .3 deep. I love his stop system as well so will incorporate that while I am at it. The drill press will live about 2 meters to the left of the drop saw in an interesting attempt to give support to large panels I drill out for what ever reason. The bench continues another 1.8 meters to the left past the drill press.

I am also making my assembly table into a crosscut saw with a capacity of 1.1 meter cuts. Have today just finished installing 2 dust extraction systems. 1 low pressure 5 inch system and 1 high pressure 2.5 inch system. It is very exciting and I can see that I will always have something to go on with as this whim turns into a serious adventure!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I have pulled my 2 horse dust extractor apart and mounted the motor and impeller to the wall above my super dust deputy cyclone. It vents outside through the wall via a stainless steel vent that opens via the air be forced through it. As I live in a temperate zone, I am not overly concerned about extreme weather. It gets down to a couple of degrees above freezing for a month or two and some very hot days for a couple of weeks in summer. The rest of the time its jeans and t-shirt weather. The difference in sound and dust is appreciable. The extra pull the system has is also welcome. The whole operation took a couple of hours to complete. The main time taken was in designing and procrastinating! The extra space was also welcome. If you have the capacity to do this I highly recommend it. The 5 inch lines are taken 2 directions in the shop. 1 goes behind a removable kickboard on my main docking station and the other goes up and over to the jointer, soon to have a 15 inch thicknesser as well. The whole place becomes more workable with every modification. :D

I have attached a few pics including a phone pic of the outside stainless steel vent.

John. I am happy with the flex hose due to twists and turn etc I am encoutering. The hose is 5 inch. The increase in suction since removing the filter is noticable. There is no chip or dust escaping from any of the machines I have the system hooked up to.

Tiods. Thanks for the comment, I enjoy spending time in my shop.

Southwood. Did you mean an air filter in the shop or the dust extractor's filter? I am also considering putting an air filter as well, but I have three doors that allow good air replacement and a nice breeze. Never gets too hot but maybe a few weeks that it is too cold. I can live with that. Slowly I am getting there.

• 10 months later...

I have made a video tour of my workshop and if you click the link below, life is not a rehersal, you will see it listed in about 12 hours from the time of this post. It will be the one at the top of the list. There are other clips there as well...feel free to have a look. Remeber that while you guys in the northern hemisphere are enduring the heat, I am down under freezing my nuts off.