2x4s Jointed and Planed in Furniture

StrangeRANGER

Beechwood is correct. I built a table from store bought 2X6s. The first time the top pulled itself apart. The next time, I layer the lumber in my house for a year, to my wife's dismay, but the top is stable and turned out quite well. Also I purchased a few extra boards as a few had to be rejected after they twisted, despite weights holding the stack.

Franklin, although it is a soft wood, it is all in the eye of the beholder. When I built my table, I was going for a massive, rustic look and am very happy with the results. I took one extra precaution and epoxied the top for durability. I purposely picked out lumber with tight knots in it that had interesting grain patterns and curls. It was easy to fill the cracks and voids around the knots and looks great.

I've got a table made from cheap pine 1X2 and a piece of plywood siding. I stained it dark and slapped a few coats of varnish on it. I made it as a temporary typing table (for a real manual typewriter, before computers) - I was going to make a nice one out of red oak. That was 35 years ago.

Now it's the entry hall table. Every time I try to throw the thing away someone finds a use for it.

Never made the oak one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've done this for shop furniture, but the material needs a long time to dry before use.

Rough cutting them speeds drying. I've also found that buying wide boards, like 2x10's and 2x12's, and cutting and discarding the pith from the center, leaves nicer vertical grain stock. The smaller lumber seems to be made from tiny, unstable trees.

I've not done this for stuff that really matters in appearance, as good poplar is pretty cheap and it takes paint better.

Dont forget the best 2x material ever, my favorite that I would definitely use for furniture... Southern Yellow Pine, SYP for short. I built my bench out of it and it is really nice looking stuff. It i slightly more dense than you typical Spruce, Pine or Fir(SPF) 2x material. The grain is more pronounced and the wood is fairly easy to work. Would look great with an oil and wax finish. Try and find some in your area.

Southern_Yellow_Pine.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My next two projects are loft beds for my kids. My thought was to build them out of construction 2x4, but I do have concerns about warping. Our apartment is extremely dry!

Will kiln dried premium construction lumber really be enough?

Trying to keep costs down, to prevent my wife and kids from going to Ikea!

I built my work bench out of BORG lumber

post-2926-0-82734200-1332694376_thumb.jp

post-2926-0-77416300-1332694440_thumb.jp

I've also built many other household projects out of construction lumber when the need arose, and money was tight. I made a really nice quilting rack for my mother because what she wanted was going to cost her $700, and I went with her to pick it up I told her not to buy it I could make one better I bet I didn't have $100 into it. tried to down load pics of quilting rack not haveing any luck sorry.