Dust collection confusion

tad

I did not know this DC set up would be so confusing. The more I read the more confused i get!!!

Can someone shed some light on this please!! I'am looking at Grizzleys G0548z a 2hp 1700cfm canister type DC. I plan on running 6" pvc S/D for trunck line then drop down to 4" with y conn and blast gates at all tool locations. Will I have enough power? My shop is 24x36 the trunk line would be centered on the 36' wall. I have TS , JT, PL MS. and router. THANKS !!!!!

Technically 1700 Cfm is plenty to power the shop the way you want to set it up. Using 6" s and d pipe is a good choice for several reasons one being that it has the lowest coefficient of friction which will reduce you friction loss in the system. The biggest thing to keep in mind is how many bends and turns you have and how tight they are. Avoid using 90's especially s and d 90. The best way to turn 90 with s and d is to use a 45 and a street 45 together. Also keep with the 6" pipe as long as possible and use blast gates. If you only have one gate open at a time you should get good dust collection. Hope this helps.

Alot of the issues with dust collection and small dust collectors is people dont realize just how small 2, 3 and 5 hp collectors really are. Most seem to do fine for what people are doing but when you get folks that actually push these the collectors they fail at the collector itself. The collectors dont evacuate the heavy chips from the air stream well enough. You dont even know its happening in a canister type collector because you cant see it. With the cyclones it becomes evident when the filter gets filled with larger chips. In my case its my yard since there is no filter. With my 3 hp cyclone I have to rake up about 50 gallons of planer and shaper shaving from my yard every week end. Im not complaining my shop is clean but really needed much more tha the 3hp.

Don

thanks everyone for help!!! Sometimes u have to step back and take a break!

On a 3hp model, I keep 1- 4" flex hose connected at all times a wheel it from place to place where needed. I keep the hose no longer than 6' long and it seems to do ok. A 5hp cyclone would be a much better choice of you want better collectiion. A warning about grizzly dust collectors hp rating. There is about a 30-40% exageration in there hp ratings. Mine says 3hp and when I had it tested is was pushing just over 2hp.

On a 3hp model, I keep 1- 4" flex hose connected at all times a wheel it from place to place where needed. I keep the hose no longer than 6' long and it seems to do ok. A 5hp cyclone would be a much better choice of you want better collectiion. A warning about grizzly dust collectors hp rating. There is about a 30-40% exageration in there hp ratings. Mine says 3hp and when I had it tested is was pushing just over 2hp.

Motors are rated without an impellor to US department of energy standards. HP rating for electrical motors are regulated by the department of energy I doubt they are are not truely 3hp motors. Even if they were off by a small amount outside of the +- spec they would open themselve up to civil action. I cant remember the actual case but there was a recent one with alot of gas lawn equipment where they got spanked for this very thing along with a RICO action. Electric motors are more heavily regulated than even gas motors.

Don

Id say it depends on the equipment. My 3hp cyclone cant keep up with my planer or shaper. It just depends on the equipment and feed speeds.

Don

Really? I am surprised to hear this. I have a 2.5HP Penn State cyclone and I love it. It doesn't like to keep up with my jointer very well, but that is because I have a 4" drop going down to a machine with a 5" opening. I am hoping that once I redo the ductwork a little, will be OK. Everything else is does a great job except for my TS, but well, those all need some work.

Really? I am surprised to hear this. I have a 2.5HP Penn State cyclone and I love it. It doesn't like to keep up with my jointer very well, but that is because I have a 4" drop going down to a machine with a 5" opening. I am hoping that once I redo the ductwork a little, will be OK. Everything else is does a great job except for my TS, but well, those all need some work.

Mine works great at the machine it just can't expel it when loaded. It keeps my shop sterile but my yard covered.

Don

Keep your runs as short as possible, so centrally locate your DC. Obviously, you'll arrange your machines for work flow, but your biggest chip makers will be close to each other. I would place the DC as close to that location. If you're using flexible tubing, then keep it as short as possible. So run your pipe down to the floor or as close to the dust port as you can. Basically, you want the smooth walled pipe over anything that will disrupt flow.