getting started with nothing but a little space and a little green

Ken Wilsbach

The only issue I have with the panel saw is that particular one is not known for its accuracy making it a rougher.

Don

understood. I was thinking it'd do well to get the shop furniture built, being able to rip through plywood quickly and easily. I may also use it to build a new aquarium stand for my 20g long as well.

also planning on a bookshelf door for a friend for his beer stash in the basement. So, there are a handful of projects i can think of that this thing will make easier. After that, i may sell it. it's a little large for my space, as some future pictures will show, unless i wall mount it

understood. I was thinking it'd do well to get the shop furniture built, being able to rip through plywood quickly and easily. I may also use it to build a new aquarium stand for my 20g long as well.

also planning on a bookshelf door for a friend for his beer stash in the basement. So, there are a handful of projects i can think of that this thing will make easier. After that, i may sell it. it's a little large for my space, as some future pictures will show, unless i wall mount it

It will make life easier if you have to cut alot of sheet goods. Personally i just slide them right out of the van and across the table saw. If you have a big door this may be possibe for you also and save alot of space. If I read your post right you are paying $700 for all the tools? The panel saw is worth that by itself and should be easy to sell once cleaned up and adjusted.

Don

It will make life easier if you have to cut alot of sheet goods. Personally i just slide them right out of the van and across the table saw. If you have a big door this may be possibe for you also and save alot of space. If I read your post right you are paying $700 for all the tools? The panel saw is worth that by itself and should be easy to sell once cleaned up and adjusted.

Don

while i do have the ability to go through my garage door, i am unable to slide anything out of a truck bed or van... as i don't have either. And i don't think my mustang could fit sheet goods lol. most likely i'd make a purchase of more sheet goods than i need at a time and have my father in law w/ his trailer help pick stuff up.

i did pay 700 for the three items. I should have looked closer at the table saw though, as i'm not sure which motor i have. I am hoping for the 3hp. it is currently wired for 110v, and am interested in rewiring for 220v once i get that new panel put in.

i wouldnt mind selling the panel saw and putting the money towards either table saw upgrades, or towards a jointer or planer.

i'm looking forward to getting the DC unit cleaned up and rebagged/filtered. the size of it will allow me to run tubes to a few different areas in the garage for the tools, that makes me very happy.

watching some videos on the grr-ripper and the saw they're demoing this on, http://www.youtube.com/user/MicroJig?v=lDUg_lfculQ, doesnt have a riving knife. is this a suitable alternative to a riving knife?

I wouldn't consider the Grr-ripper a riving knife alternative, (push block alternative, if anything) though it can certainly help with kickback (and I still highly recommend Grr-ripper, one of my most favorite things in the shop).

Look into the splitters, made by the same company (Microjig).

I wouldn't consider the Grr-ripper a riving knife alternative, (push block alternative, if anything) though it can certainly help with kickback (and I still highly recommend Grr-ripper, one of my most favorite things in the shop).

Look into the splitters, made by the same company (Microjig).

right, they make the grr-ripper too. is their mj-splitter good enough? i was thinking of picking up the BORK riving blade http://www.theborkstore.com/product.sc?productId=6

if i can get away with the much cheaper MJ splitter, i'd be happy to

right, they make the grr-ripper too. is their mj-splitter good enough? i was thinking of picking up the BORK riving blade http://www.theborkst....sc?productId=6

if i can get away with the much cheaper MJ splitter, i'd be happy to

Of what I've heard of people using that splitter, word has been favorable. Requires a little setup/tweaking on your part, but it comes with a tool/jig for that. It might not be the same as a riving knife as it goes on your insert and can't move up and down with your blade, but better than nothing.

Personally, if you can somehow outfit your saw with an aftermarket riving knife with all the benefits, I would go that direction. But the MJ spitter is pretty cheap, so no harm in trying it too.

yikes! maybe i'll just order two of these http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708689-Filter-DC-1900-Collector/dp/B00065U69O

Of what I've heard of people using that splitter, word has been favorable. Requires a little setup/tweaking on your part, but it comes with a tool/jig for that. It might not be the same as a riving knife as it goes on your insert and can't move up and down with your blade, but better than nothing.

Personally, if you can somehow outfit your saw with an aftermarket riving knife with all the benefits, I would go that direction. But the MJ spitter is pretty cheap, so no harm in trying it too.

yeah, at around $30 i may as well order one along with two grr-rippers.

the bork item can be fitted with a blade guard though, so that may end up winning out. I need to look into fence upgrades, as well as aligning fences. the one on the table saw is off at the very end by maybe 1 or 2 mm

Small note, I just did the same myself from last summer, started from zero to build my shop. I got some tools brand new, but also used I realised quickly enough that some used stuff (like craiglist) have been use one or twice for like 5 minutes. The best I got was my table saw from a demo site or something 300$ instead of 750$ brand new. I also saw some stuff because I did a lot of shopping: Dewalt planner 400$ brand new in box instead of 650$, Ridgid osci sander brand new in box 100$ off. I got my freud and router table (used once for 400$ instead of like 550$). Really take your time and check all your local ads, I was amaze myself what you can find.

Small note, I just did the same myself from last summer, started from zero to build my shop. I got some tools brand new, but also used I realised quickly enough that some used stuff (like craiglist) have been use one or twice for like 5 minutes. The best I got was my table saw from a demo site or something 300$ instead of 750$ brand new. I also saw some stuff because I did a lot of shopping: Dewalt planner 400$ brand new in box instead of 650$, Ridgid osci sander brand new in box 100$ off. I got my freud and router table (used once for 400$ instead of like 550$). Really take your time and check all your local ads, I was amaze myself what you can find.

definitely, i'm on craigslist daily.

I can state that there have been several times I wished I had a panel saw. In fact, there are more times that I want a panel saw than a table saw.

I don't really care too much about the rough edges on the plywood, because all plywood (in my experience) needs some edge work anyway. From sanding to soften the edges, to straightening the lines for edge banding, to ripping out and replacing with other plywood when you've er... made a creative and spontaneous design element. If you're using plywood, there's the assumed extra steps to fully finish the project.

(Assuming my projects ever get that far, I'll let you know more of those particular steps.)

And I can fully understand your pain about loading stuff into a car, although I wish mine was anywhere near as socially acceptable as the Mustang. I have found, however, I can fit 4'x4' sheets of plywood into the backseat of my Sable. I can't get more than 8 in, and forget seeing out the back window, but that's ok. With the drop-down rear seating, a 10' long beam (or bundle) of 6"x6" material (give or take) just barely does not fit. Bungee cords will keep the trunk closed, and no red flags required.

(Side note: I keep a clear plastic box in my trunk now with my hand saw, a whole lot of bungees and ratchet straps, and one old red sweatshirt that doesn't fit the kids anymore. This has come in handy several times in getting material to the shop.)

Clear out some space in the garage, but if you want the panel saw to come out, I'd suggest putting it near the front of the garage, right by the door. (And this will naturally mean some sheet good storage nearby...)

Marc posted a link some time ago on the MJ splitter, which went to a product review video (if I remember right... been a while.) I'd consider it instead of the BORK (bolt on riving knife) if you're worried about the initial price. But I'd suggest at least one of either, in addition to the Grr-ripper. (speliing?)

And congrats on the great find!

The Rockler 1-2-3 block set is EXTREMELY overpriced. For comparison, Grizzly sells the blocks in pairs for about $10 each:

http://www.grizzly.c...-3-Blocks/G5641

Grizzly also sells a perfectly serviceable dial indicator for about $15.

http://www.grizzly.c...-x-0-001-/G1479

Check eBay for even better deals.

I like Rockler as much as the next guy, but that price is nuts.

-- Russ

The Rockler 1-2-3 block set is EXTREMELY overpriced. For comparison, Grizzly sells the blocks in pairs for about $10 each:

http://www.grizzly.c...-3-Blocks/G5641

Grizzly also sells a perfectly serviceable dial indicator for about $15.

http://www.grizzly.c...-x-0-001-/G1479

Check eBay for even better deals.

I like Rockler as much as the next guy, but that price is nuts.

-- Russ

wow, huge price difference. i thought perhaps the gauge was what was driving the price up so high. what sort of mount do i need for the grizzly gauge? I been looking at their machinist squares as well.

looking at getting a combination square set too, http://www.grizzly.com/search/search.aspx?q=combination%20square&cachebuster=2941155098378658.5

i'm assuming the cheaper $30 sets arent worth it. is brown & sharpe worth the price though?

I don't know anything about the squares that Grizzly sells. Lots of folks here (including me) like the ones from Starrett:

http://woodtalkonlin...__fromsearch__1

-- Russ

i have debated getting starrett items, i feel like they're a bit out of my budget range despite them being perfect examples of measuring instruments. there has got to be a solid mid level manufacturer.

I

there very reliable but i think that is something you can pick up later. maybe you could just get a cheap craftsman one and pick one up later. if you keep you eyes open you will see one eventuly as i have come across several at garage sales.

I have to disagree. You cant set up a machine without lots of test cuts and hair pulling without a good reference. You dont need fancy dial indicators but a square ,123 or 246 blocks are a must to make your life so much easier. You dont have to pay big money but what you do own has to be accurate. This is where 123 and 246 blocks come into play. You can drop them, throw them at the neighbors dog and they will always be square.

Don

I

I have to disagree. You cant set up a machine without lots of test cuts and hair pulling without a good reference. You dont need fancy dial indicators but a square ,123 or 246 blocks are a must to make your life so much easier. You dont have to pay big money but what you do own has to be accurate. This is where 123 and 246 blocks come into play. You can drop them, throw them at the neighbors dog and they will always be square.

Don

i'm definitely picking up a 123 block

I

Don

i used one that i got from stanly for about half the 135 price sale and a discount and it worked great.....then i went to a yard sale couple days later and found a starret combo square, starret 123 and 246, a bunch of brand new saw blades, sandpaper, drill bits, and a stack of white oak lumber that the kids were selling that belonged to there dad. i spent 45 bucks for everything. since then i have seen several of each kind at auction, sales, and one in a trash bin. some might not have been a starret but i know at least two were.