bench hooks

rodger.

I put a cleat across the bottom of some jigs that I use frequently. Open the vise, cleat under jig clamps the whole thing steady, and no fumbling with clamps to hold it still. Many of my jigs now use those new Bessey toggle clamps. They adjust to whatever thickness part you put under them. You can control the clamping pressure with a turn of a knob.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes, along the same lines as Paul-Marcel. I am a hybrid, but I will use any excuse to not waste any more electricity than absolutely necessary, particularly on the small cuts.

There is a common wisdom that the cross-cut sled should be the first jig built in a wood shop. My feeling is that the bench hook should come before the sled. It is an incredibly versatile tool/jig/enabler.

Yes! I have some plywood and MDF appliances in various sizes that with with:

- Saws

- Planes

- Biscuit cutters (waaay faster than clamping)

- Chisels

- Carving tools

Along similar lines, I also have a hardwood strip mounted to the left end of my bench with hanger bolts and wing nuts through slots. It's a pop-up stop that allows me to plane faces without clamps. Since it's adjustable, it also works great for small and thin parts. The stop is also handy for any of the operations mentioned above that have the force moving from right to left instead of front to back.