Hello from Oregon!

susieq4131

I wandered in because of the cutting boards. Thinking about making some. I am not a total stranger to woodworking. I make bowls, boxes and other items using my scroll saw.

I live in a small town in Oregon with my husband and cat.

I was fortunate enough to marry a man who owns some nice shop equipment :)

SQ

I wish I could take credit for that book, but Carole Rothman is the author. Her book is titled "Wooden Bowls from the scroll saw". Her bowls and other wooden vessels are very small, but the general information outlined in her book easily applies to larger bowls, such as I am making. I use different techniques for sanding the bowls, laminating the wood together, etc, but her book is a wealth of information. Her cutting angle chart included in the book is a must have for determining the correct angle to cut the bowl, which is calculated by the width of the bowl rings and the thickness of the wood used.

These bowls are great fun to create and always challenging. :)

SQ

Thanks, SQ!

On the other thread about the bowl itself, you mentioned Carole's chart and I realized I had you mixed up (but good company, no?) I remember the book and posting on TWW's blog and thought it was a unique way to make the bowls and likely allows for some shapes or "segment" patterns that are extremely difficult or impossible on a lathe. Is that true?

Someday I'll get a scrollsaw. But right now, I don't want something to take time away from finishing my list of projects! I'm sure you understand :)

Paul-Marcel,

Yes, Carole is the queen of bowls. It was a brilliant & totally innovative concept that she came up with.

Right now I am only making bowls, but am interesting in making cutting boards. The information on cutting boards here has been very helpful. I had no clue one couldn't run end-grain wood through a planer. Thank goodness I read the post. Not keen on hurting myself or my beloved planer.

SQ

Welcome to the Neighborhood. My wife has no power tools, she's a hand tool user at heart like me with her spinning wheel and crochet hooks. She was nice enough though to humor me by taking a class at Port Townsend Woodworking School (her idea), guess this means I'll be taking a sewing class soon.